Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer keeps locking itself after a 5 minutes

• Please log in to reply

dave81

dave81

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, this is my first post so please forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask this question. My computer keeps locking up on me whenever i dont touch anything for about 5 minutes. This is particularly a problem when watching videos online. It will say "windows is locking" and then it brings me back to the screen where it asks me for a password. I have managed to get rid of the password so that now I only have to click on the icon that says my name and it brings me back to my desktop. But i would really like it to stop locking, I tried searching the control panel and I can not find anything that says how to stop the computer from locking. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
What is happening is that the computer is set to show the log on screen when your display is turned off.
  • Please right click a clear spot on your desktop.
  • Select personalize.
  • Select screen saver.
  • Change the amount of time before the screen saver comes on
  • Select change power settings.
  • Select choose when to turn off the display.
  • Select 1 hour (or more/less)
This will give you more time before the screen turns off and you go back to the log in screen.