Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird drop out and stutter WMP11

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,,
Just recently i have noticed that just towards the end of every song, on every cd on my hard drive has a stuttery dropout thing going on that lasts for about a second or so.
Honestly, , every single song wether a 30 sec song or a 9 minute song, about 10 to 20 seconds before the end there is a horrible dropout that lasts just for a second.

Am using vista x64 and media player 11.
I have never had this problem before with any version of wmp, or on any version of xp or vista, , although my mum says its exactly the same on her vista pc as well, and has been there since she bought the pc 2 years ago ( why dont mums tell you these things ! ) , , so if i can get this issue sorted for myself, i can help out mum as well.

Why vista doesnt have wmp11 in the programs and features folder like every other version i dont know, , stupid idea if you ask me as you cant delete it and reinstall when you get a problem like this.

Hope someone can help !

Many thanks, , kev

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you have any CODECS installed? If so, try uninstalling them all and see if that helps. Then reinstall one at a time to identify which is responsible.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi There,
I managed to sort this out last night, , i think.
After more in depth web searches i came across an article that claimed the problem was connected to the " audio enhancements " tab under the sound device properties. Its checked as default, but if you encheck this box, and re boot, then the drop outs apear to have disapeared.
I spoon fed my mum thru the same procedure as she was having the same problem (long term ) and she claims its worked as well

Click on control panel, , then audio , , once audio is selected, find your audio device on the list , , , , it may help to play to have wmp playing something at the time as you will see a moving volume bar next to the device windows is using for audio.

When you find and click on the correct audio device, then click on properties, , then select the advanced tab. Within the advance screen, , you will see a check box near the bottome of the screen, under " audio enhancement "that says "enable audio enhancements ".
Make sure that this box is unchecked , , apply , , then reboot.
This solved the problem for me ( and my mum) so its problem solved i think.

If when you get to the advanced screen and you find that there " isnt " a tick already in that particular check box, , then i dont think this fix will work, , however, i think its always worth putting a tick in the box, ,applying, reboot, , give it a try, , if you still have drop outs AFTER you have put a tick in the box, ,then go back and start the proceedure again, this time iunchecking the audio enhancements box, etc, then reboot again and try wmp again to see if its solved. Sometimes checking the box, rebooting then unchecking the box>reboot will work.

Hope this helps someone along the way, , its sorted it for me ( so far ! ! )

Edited by rxkevco, 09 December 2008 - 03:26 AM.