Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting networking device to PC

• Please log in to reply

Blue Girl

Blue Girl

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello

When my cable modem is connected to my PC there are no link lights on either the modem or the PC (I've tried both networking ports on the PC). It was working fine for the 6 months I've had the PC. There are no link lights at anytime, before the Operating System has booted.

However

- When I connect the PC and laptop via networking ports, there are link lights on both, and I can connect to the other machine.
- When I connect the modem to the laptop via networking ports. there are link lights on both, and I can access the Internet.

I was previously using a router, but the when the Internet wouldn't work this morning I disconnected it. So the above 3 connections I mentioned are all direct connections.

Does anyone know what the issue is, as if the network ports on the PC were faulty then I wouldn't be able to connect to the laptop and if the modem was faulty I wouldn't be able to use the Net from another machine?

Thankyou in advance for your assistance.

Edited by Blue Girl, 06 December 2008 - 10:48 PM.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

A bit more info is needed. Are both of these the same operating system? What is the make and model of the cable modem? I'm not aware of a cable modem device that connects via a network port as they are mostly either USB or serial connection devices(??)

Just a guess, bit if your systems are different op systems, perhaps your Vista machine needs device drivers(?)

Blue Girl

Blue Girl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Howszit?

A bit more info is needed. Are both of these the same operating system? What is the make and model of the cable modem? I'm not aware of a cable modem device that connects via a network port as they are mostly either USB or serial connection devices(??)

Just a guess, bit if your systems are different op systems, perhaps your Vista machine needs device drivers(?)

The modem is a Motorola Surfboard 4200, it's around 7 years old. It does have a USB output as well as the Ethernet port.

The OS shouldn't make a difference as the link lights should light up when the device is connected and power is on, before the OS loads.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
This is from the Motorola website for your modem:

Compatibility Features
Windows® 95/98/2000/NT/Me/XP
Macintosh® OS 8
Unix®
Supports standard Internet software

It does not list Vista as a supported op system. In the discontinued product driver download section, there are no vista drivers available. This is why your XP system sees it and the Vista does not. This is part of the "fun" :) things in Vista, as older items will never have Vista drivers available. You might be able to set up the modem on the USB connection to your XP system and then share the connection to the network, (but then again, Vista may not be able to see it). Vista is not known for being too network friendly.

You said that your original router failed? Are you going to try to replace it or repair? That maybe your best option..

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Oops! Re-checked the website and there are vista drivers!

Motorola Discontinued products

Use your Xp system to get the Vista drivers and then install them on your Vista system. You should be ok then..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

The OS shouldn't make a difference as the link lights should light up when the device is connected and power is on, before the OS loads.

agreed...

Use your Xp system to get the Vista drivers and then install them on your Vista system. You should be ok then..

ethernet traffic is OS agnostic...if your computer can talk TCP/IP then it doesn't care what OS it's running....you don't need modem drivers to connect to a modem via ethernet....only USB

you might try updating the NIC drivers on the one that's having the issue (if there's a newer version available)

could you describe the timeline of your issue a little better? you WERE connected through a router before and now you're going straight to the modem?

what's the make/model of the router? if the router is put back in place do the link lights come on on the router and the modem? if you connect the WORKING computer to the router does it's connection still work?

do you own your modem or is it leased through your ISP?

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Sorry. I left the US before internet was available through cable and down here there aren't any such things, (no cable - only telephone ADSL). The Motorola site has both NIC and USB vista drivers...