Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Suggestions

• Please log in to reply

Turkamo505

Turkamo505

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell right now and it is a complete mess. There are constant problems with it and I am thinking that I might get a new computer if I am unable to clean it up. All I need for this computer to do is to run Word, my DSL, Limewire and my MP3 player, not much else. I am looking for suggestions on a computer with options that wouldn't put me over $650. I don't need that much memory but I would like enough ram and sufficient processer to allow my computer to run fast. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Check the Dell page daily. Last I checked they had a nice P4 2.6GHz machine for $350. Their deals change so much, it's hard to keep up.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Just an idea but if you want to do it cheaply and if you have enough room in your home, why not have two computers with a router: 1 for your p2p, Internet and mail, the other for your day to day use, the router acts as the first firewall, the first computer acts as a glorified router and can either be cleaned with HJT (plus virus removal tools) or simply reformatted in 30minutes,(without big loss if you have transfered your stuff in a memory stick to your day to day machine) and then your day to day portable computer(which is never conected directly to the Internet) should be a joy to use. I cheat slightly in this system in that I do connect to the router with my day to day machine for the e-mail but I know I shouldn't

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I have a Dell right now and it is a complete mess. There are constant problems with it and I am thinking that I might get a new computer if I am unable to clean it up. All I need for this computer to do is to run Word, my DSL, Limewire and my MP3 player, not much else. I am looking for suggestions on a computer with options that wouldn't put me over $650. I don't need that much memory but I would like enough ram and sufficient processer  to allow my computer to run fast. Any suggestions?

View Post

Why not list your problems with PC in this forum and maybe you can get the PC cleaned up and running just for Word, my DSL, Limewire, MP3 Player, etc? Can't see buying a new PC just for these unless the PC is so outdated and slow that you need a faster one.

No specs given on PC so nothing can be stated with certainty about this.

Ron

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Well, we just got a Dell for my mom. We paid $400, and got a P4 2.8, 512MB ram, dvd burner and dvd-rom duals, and a free PSC. So, they give great deals! We got an old Win 95 Dell that we have in our network, and still after all this time, works great.