Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get past the Blue Screen of Death 0x24

• Please log in to reply

nomado

nomado

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi
Here's my story:
It's a Dell Intel duo core XP laptop, that when I received it (to fix for a family friend) blue screened with stop error X:7 (driver problem). After a day poking around I managed to get Ubuntu Ibex running off disc and was able to delete the driver that the stop code error was pointing to. Worked fine for a week and now it's blue screening X24 error (hard drive). In both instances, there was a freeze and a shutdown.
I can boot up Ubuntu Ibex from disc no problem, works beautifully. XP boot blue screens X24 and just sits there. (tried safe, last known etc., all same.) I've run numerous diagnostics with the Ultimate boot cd but nothing apparent there. The other detail which may or may not be significant is that the system does not recognize the battery. I have checked the prongs with multimeter and there's voltage, but the system does not recognize it as being installed.
I've noticed Dell is now marketing Ubuntu machines...(?)
Any direction would be appreciated. How can I get past the BSOD to run chkdsk? (no recovery disks)
Cheers

Never mind, I got it fixed. Found a XP recovery disc from a different OEM and that worked once I got past the admin password with this awesome password bypass.
http://home.eunet.no...rdahl/ntpasswd/
Once in chkdsk /r did the trick.
Whew!

Edited by nomado, 07 December 2008 - 06:33 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks for sharing your resolution. :)