Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me upgrade my comp!

• Please log in to reply

aznmidude

aznmidude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Random question about upgrading... If I'm updating mobo, cpu, ram, PSU; but i want to keep my hdd and all teh stuff on it, is there anything special i need to do? Aside from installing the hardware and installing the drivers?

FYI, I'm still using Win XP on the old hdd. Thanks!

Advertisements

aznmidude

aznmidude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
So... I just realized when installing the parts finally on this comp... that I don't have any IDE slots for my CD/DVD roms... this is a pain. Is there anyway I can hook up my drives to this mobo? I really don't want to have to send this back AGAIN.

ASUS P5Q SE Plus Mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo cpu
Corsair 650W PSU

My hdd and DVD-roms are probably a lil old school since I used IDE to attach them to my old mobo. The new mobo has 6 SATA ports... I wish they just gave me one more IDE port...

Edited by aznmidude, 19 January 2009 - 02:23 AM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi aznmidude,

Is this your motherboard? Based on the specs in newegg, it says it comes with one PATA (or IDE) connection. Your motherboard should also come with an IDE cable.

I suggest you use your XP disk and do a repair install. After that just install the necessary drivers and update Windows.

Good luck!

aznmidude

aznmidude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, awesome, I managed to copy the files I needed onto an external hdd and installed the drivers via that, lol. Comp is up and running, but I feel like there are a few small issues I'll have to work out. One of which has kinda bothered me so far is this: Sometimes when I restart or shut down my computer, it stalls at either the "windows is shutting down" screen; or when the screen is dark and the light on my monitor is orange (means idle i think); and it just sits there for a while until I force restart/shutdown with the power button. I already installed the drivers except for the so called "Express Gate" feature of the mobo. Supposedly that just makes it so that your comp boots up fast though. Are there any other potential problems?

btw, just to clarify, the only way i'm going to be able to use my IDE dvd-roms, is if i somehow chain it up as a slave to my HDD to the (friggin) SINGLE IDE port on my mobo right?

Edited by aznmidude, 20 January 2009 - 01:17 AM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

btw, just to clarify, the only way i'm going to be able to use my IDE dvd-roms, is if i somehow chain it up as a slave to my HDD to the (friggin) SINGLE IDE port on my mobo right?

Yes that's correct, however DVD-Drives are really cheap right now and they're about $25 so if you don't like to chain them then just get a SATA DVD-Drive.

Sometimes when I restart or shut down my computer, it stalls at either the "windows is shutting down" screen; or when the screen is dark and the light on my monitor is orange (means idle i think); and it just sits there for a while until I force restart/shutdown with the power button.

How long does it stall for? and how long until you force it to restart/shutdown?
Try this fix from Microsoft, it basically just says you need to update Windows.
If that doesn't work, it maybe a process or a service that's stalling.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 20 January 2009 - 10:29 AM.

aznmidude

aznmidude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the info on the drives.

As for the shutting down thing, my version of WinXP is already up to date with sp3. I've found that it doesn't stall anymore, but it doesn't turn itself off like it used to. The computer remains running after shutting down, but the screen is blank. Usually I have to press the power button in order to actually turn the machine off. Is there a way to change this? I'm not very good with BIOS settings and such.

aznmidude

aznmidude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
bump

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No need to bump your post, it's considered "rude" in forum etiquette.

If there's been no reply for 3 days, use the Waiting Room.

Troy