Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Direct downloads failing in Firefox

• Please log in to reply

arizuka

arizuka

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Um, not really an urgent problem, just kind of annoying. Firefox randomly fails at downloading things. It just says "unknown error, save to a different location". Something like that. But switching locations doesn't do any good, and a lot of the times, I just have to retry and then it works.

I recently reformatted and added a lot of security software I didn't have before. I also have the Yahoo edition of Firefox.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Suggest you do a clean uninstall and never install the Yahoo version again and get the REAL Firefox 3 from Mozilla. Yahoo version is geared for Yahoo and has some compatibility problems with other software.

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
hahaha... :)

well anyway, I did that, but it's still doing it. the weird thing is though, i went and checked on the rar file I'd downloaded and well, it was all there. i just had to rename the extension to .rar and it unzipped and everything. so, uh, i dunno. because it had failed to download a program just earlier.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You need the proper program to auto-unzip *.rar files. Most will do it for you, like 7-Zip or ZipGenius...all free. Have you got FF options set to always download to a specific download folder? Setting this options is usually best, Then you can always go to FF's Tools and select Downloads and open the file from the Downloads popup window.

Edited by Major Payne, 08 December 2008 - 07:32 PM.