Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Need My Outlook Express 6, Where Do I Get It?

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I just recently purchased a PC from a local university's surplus sale (my old PC bit the dust) and I am in the process of cleaning it up and making it ready for use. I did a back up of the old PC's hard drive and will soon be ready to d/l that information onto this newer PC.

One of the problems I have run into is the PC I just bought does not have Microsoft Outlook Express 6 on it like my old one did. In fact, near as I can tell, there is no e-mail client on this PC at all. This PC has a newer version of Windows XP than the old PC did and I am not seeing anything at all having to do with Outlook Express 6, or any Outlook Express version for that matter.

I had my old PC for 10 years so that gives you an idea of how much I know about upgrading to a newer system, newer OS, etc. My back up of course has all my e-mail messages, contacts, etc., but with no e-mail client on this PC, what do I do? Shouldn't Outlook Express 6 be part of this PC's OS, or does it have something to do with the version of Internet Explorer that I have (version 7.0). I just took it for granted that Outlook Express would be there when I purchased this computer.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Outlook Express use to be part of Internet Explorer. This may work... Download OE 6.0

Search Results

Related:

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
Outlook Express version 6 is available
Update for Outlook Express 6.0 on Microsoft Windows XP (KB918766)
Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB887797)

Edited by Major Payne, 07 December 2008 - 06:42 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Outlook Express use to be part of Internet Explorer. This may work... Download OE 6.0

Search Results

Related:

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
Outlook Express version 6 is available
Update for Outlook Express 6.0 on Microsoft Windows XP (KB918766)
Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB887797)

Thanks for the reply and the lead. I'll d/l ASAP! Awesome :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Once installed, make sure you visit the Windows Update site and get all the critical updates for IE/OE. Don't know if you have installed XP's SP3, but some people have been having serious problems with it. Recommend just updating using the Custom scan button.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

You're welcome. Once installed, make sure you visit the Windows Update site and get all the critical updates for IE/OE. Don't know if you have installed XP's SP3, but some people have been having serious problems with it. Recommend just updating using the Custom scan button.

OK, well I did d/l Microsoft Outlook Express 6 from your link. When I tried to install it, a message popped up indicating there were previous instances of an e-mail client that did not complete installation. It told me to reboot. I did that, but nothing new came to my attention regarding any e-mail client that is on my PC at this time.

Also, it appears that Outlook Express 6 is really only compatible with IE6. My PC has IE7 on it and it does have Windows XP SP3 as well.

Being that I have IE7 and SP3 for XP, I'm just trying to figure out what version of Outlook Express I should have. Initially, I thought OE6 was part of IE6 and therefore would be available through the Microsoft Update website, but I haven't found anything yet. Shouldn't the Microsoft Update site provide a d/l for Outlook Express for IE7?

Any advice?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you need a D/L of IE 7 follow this:

Download IE 7 to your hard drives from here:

http://www.microsoft....s/default.mspx

Uninstall existing copy of IE 7 through Add/Remove Programs and install IE 7 exactly as outlined here:

http://msmvps.com/bl....18/182724.aspx

Scroll down to title "Before installing IE7".

This, ..."...", leads me to believe that OE 6 may have been installed. It wasn't listed in Add/Remove Programs or Windows Components list was it?

You could search for the OE executable. Should be in "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" (if C is your main hard drive).

If there and to restore Icon to Desktop, see: How do I restore the Outlook Express icon on my desktop?

I believe IE 7 was originally written for Vista and, because of security, Outlook Express's link in Tools was removed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Just additional info:

With OE 6 installed and no link Icon showing, this could have been the fix:. Clicking on Tools, then toolbars, then customize. You should have a double panel. Object in the left panel can be added to the tool bar. Objects in the right panel are all ready on the tool bar. Pick the mail icon in the left window and ADD it to the right window. OK out and see if that Mail Icon brings up OE. Some additional solutions are listed here: Outlook Express
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Edited by Major Payne, 07 December 2008 - 08:18 PM.