Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequency out of range message

• Please log in to reply

sketchherheartx3

sketchherheartx3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a fairly new gateway computer which has windows vista installed on it. Whenever we boot up the computer we will get the options screen which will let us choose "start windows normally" or "safe mode". When going into start windows normally the screen will go black like it is loading up but then show frquency out of range. When we try to start windows in safe mode it does the same exact thing. We already know that our resolution is set too high, we just need to find out how to get some kind of screen where we can fix it. We've aalready tried the f8 option and still get nothing.

help?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If you have Vista DVD, skip to step #2, if not....

1. Create Vista Recovery Disc.

Option 1:
http://www.c4consult...0SOLUCTIONS.htm

Option 2:
Download Vista Recovery Disc iso image: http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/
Burn it to CD, or DVD: http://neosmart.net/... to a CD or DVD

2. Boot from created disk.
At first screen click on Repair your computer:
Posted Image
This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box:
Posted Image
After this, it will present you with a list of options including startup repair, system restore and command prompt:
Posted Image
Try System Restore, first.
If that doesn't work, try Startup Repair.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration" from the safe mode menu?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
He can't access Safe Mode, either.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Don't need to. Just tap F8, and select it from the listed choices on the safe mode menu.

edit: I think Vista even has an option enable VGA resolution, or 640x480 in the safe more menu. I'll check it when I get a chance to reboot.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Ouch!!....Right :)

sketchherheartx3

sketchherheartx3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the advice Broni! It worked perfectly!

and to Admin, we had tried using safe mode and we had tried the f8 option. When we went to last known good configuration it did the same exact thing and it also did the same thing when we tried doing the low video resolution option.

thanks for the help!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes!! Posted Image

rsingh

rsingh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Guys

I just installed windows 7 and i am getting the same error message, i cant complete the setup cause once it trys to start windows for the first time its get the Frequency error. i even changed my graphics card and nothing ... :)