Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIO'S screen says slave drive is ATAPI incompatible

• Please log in to reply

bruceb3

bruceb3

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I just installed a new motherboard and processor. It's only got 1 IDE slot so I've got my main boot drive in it. I had to install a PCI IDE card for my dvd-rom and dvd burner. When starting the computer & it gets to the bios screen I get this message:

IDE Master- Maxtor 6Y160PO Yar 41 BWO
Ultra DMA Mode- 6, SMART capable & status OK.

Secondary Slave Drive- ATAPI Incompatible. (there is no slave drive).
Press F1 to Resume.

I press F1 and the computer completes starting up. It's an ECS A780GM-A board with an AMD AM2 2.8 GHz processor. Anybody know how to get rid of this incompatibity? Thanks.

Also when I changed my boot order to boot from CD so I could run my Ghost 9 disk to make an image, I got to the "press F1" and pressed F1. It then went to a black screen with a little flashing cursor in the top left corner and stayed there. I used to do this and got to a prompt to "press any key to boot from cd" and then my Ghost would start. Could it have anything to do with my cd drive going to a PCI IDE card? Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
ATAPI Incompatible messages are typically caused by the unit on the appropriate channel that the message is referring to. Either that or a defective cable.
Ideally while it wouldn't hurt anything to have optical drives on the PCI card, you may have done better to have the two optical drives on the onboard IDE and the HDD on the PCI card.

A lot of systems are happy to boot off a hard drive connected to a PCI card, but not a CD unit connected in this fashion - PCI IDE cards have always been seen as a hard drive solution only and while most of them will talk to CD units connected to them, it's an entirely different matter if you want to boot off a CD unit connected to one.