Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with installing MS Project

• Please log in to reply

missyu

missyu

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys - really need your help!
My netbook doesn't have a cd-rom driver and I need to install ms project. I got the instructions from my friends and I'm supposed to use command prompt and do the setup from the cd. Since i don't have a driver, I am having problems installing this software. I am trying to specofy the path in the command prompt but it keeps on telling me that my command is not recognized. I typed in the entire path and still nothing.How can I install a program from a folder that's not located on a cd???

Thank you.

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Where are the installation files for MS Project located, and what command string are you trying to use to install it? (command string=the complete line of the command you are using, including the path and the filename at the end of this path).

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 08 December 2008 - 03:54 AM.

missyu

missyu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Where are the installation files for MS Project located, and what command string are you trying to use to install it? (command string=the complete line of the command you are using, including the path and the filename at the end of this path).

Thank you for yor reply.

The way it's supposed to work is when I insert a CD, I cancel the normal installation and have to run cmd command in the command prompt. Once I do that, I have to open D drive and type setup cdcache=0 (no idea what that means) and the install will begin.

Since I don't have a cd-rom drive in my netbook, I did copy the program from the Cd and now have it on my netbook in one of the folder in My Documents. So what I tried to do in the command prompt, I tried typing the path C:\My Documents\Project11.exe
That didn't work. I tried all possible combinations and every time the error would occur saying that "project11.exe" is not recognized as an internal/external command.
So not much luck there. What I ultimately was trying to do is to add the location of the folder to open the install. Another problem is that since the software will not be installed from a cd, I don't know if that setup cdcache=0 will have to be changed.

Does my explanation make sense?