Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer to tv sound problems

• Please log in to reply

rstanton

rstanton

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am trying to watch movies online with my tv. I ran a vga cable from my laptop (inspiron 1100) to my tv (olevia). the video works fine, but the sound has a hissing noise. 90% sure its the computer thats the problem. The hissing is constant when doing nothing but becomes exaggerated when i am using the laptop (specifically the mouse pad or when the online movies are running). I am using a " Y " cable to run the sound from my earphone jack on the laptop to the tv.

Does this sound like a soundcard problem or a problem with audio jack (or perhaps unrelated to either and a completely different issue)?

If it does sound like a soundcard issue, does anyone recommend a replacement?

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I am trying to watch movies online with my tv. I ran a vga cable from my laptop (inspiron 1100) to my tv (olevia). the video works fine, but the sound has a hissing noise. 90% sure its the computer thats the problem. The hissing is constant when doing nothing but becomes exaggerated when i am using the laptop (specifically the mouse pad or when the online movies are running). I am using a " Y " cable to run the sound from my earphone jack on the laptop to the tv.

Does this sound like a soundcard problem or a problem with audio jack (or perhaps unrelated to either and a completely different issue)?

If it does sound like a soundcard issue, does anyone recommend a replacement?

This is a problem with the integrated sound, my laptop has it too. The problem is the TV makes it worse with its amplification so it stands out even more. Mine when stuff is at low volumes gets REALLLLLLY annoying at times, even through headphones. The noise you hear is stuff on the same interface or that has wires near by inducing current in the sound circuits, which then gets amplified and you hear it as noise.

In desktops it is usually because both are on the PCI Bus (interface) and you get noise from the data sent on it.

rstanton

rstanton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i was afraid of that...so i take it there is no fix for this?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

i was afraid of that...so i take it there is no fix for this?

PCMCIA or USB Soundcard would be a possible option. I can't guarantee it would work but thats what I am going to be looking for when I get a new job.

rstanton

rstanton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you for the help, i appreciate it.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

thank you for the help, i appreciate it.

No problem, anytime.