Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Bad Image" errors

• Please log in to reply

zyno23

zyno23

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Everytime I click on any program a "Bad Image" error appears and say
"The application or DLL c:\windows\system32\hupabubi.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

dsca.exe
Reader_sl.exe
ccApp.exe
EULALauncher.exe
GoogleDesktop.exe
AolHostManager.exe
HPWuSchd2.exe
RumDLL32.exe
nwiz.exe
osCheck.exe
qttask.exe
ctfmon.exe
SearchProtection.exe
userinit.exe
Explorer.exe
verclsid.exe
sprtcmd.exe
AolDail.exe
PDVDDXSrv.exe
grpconv.exe
taskmgr.exe
LuCallbackProxy.exe

Dont know if its a DLL problem or something to do with whatever "Bad Image" is
Your Help is most appreciated :)

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

IanCairns

IanCairns

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Firstly... you Geeks ROCK!

I've had similar "Bad Image", "The application xyz.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette." errors on startup, login & running apps occur after noticing some Hardware conflicts when trying to instal a Garmin 705HC Cycle GPS (WITH a Garmin iQue M4 also installed) and installing Avid Xpress Pro 5.8... MAN was I worried!

I appeared to resolve the Hardware conflicts (after disabling AVG Anti-Virus) & rebooted... when things started going haywire!

Uninstalling Avid didn't help which couldn't run due to some Audio driver problem!

Windoz restore wouldn't work either!

After expecting the worst & needing to re-install EVERYTHING (not something I was willing to do) I checked out what Geeks to Go had to say... I've never had to post a log in the past, and this time was no exception

I followed the "Do this first" procedure and got as far as UNINSTALLING AVG Anti-Virus and all is well now

I am now trying the recommended Avast Anti-Virus

:)

che02b

che02b

• Pip
  • 3 posts
HI
I have the same problem, When I turn on my laptop the BAD IMAGE error comes up, I click OK but nothing happens... The screen just goes black,only the mouse is visible. So i cant do anything with my laptop! Please help meee... :)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Read my post above

che02b

che02b

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have read your posts but since I cant do turn on my laptop, I cant do anything with it...I tried running it in safe mode and rebooting it but still the same thing happens... Any suggestions?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
got your windows cd ?

che02b

che02b

• Pip
  • 3 posts
No, unfortunately I dont have it anymore.. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi guys maybe I can help a little here.

Download Windows Recovery Console HERE
Download, and install free Imgburn
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
At the prompt now type in chkdsk /r
Note the space between k and /

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem