Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

corrupt or missing file

• Please log in to reply

wertherdad1

wertherdad1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my son's laptop comes up with this message at start up <windows root> \system 32 \ ntoskrnl.exe file missing or corrupt, there was no xp disc that came with it when we bought it. already tried a solution on the web but still says the same. can anyone help please.

Advertisements

Raider13

Raider13

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi there weatherdad! just a thaught but have you tried last known good configuration????might work!!! :)

wertherdad1

wertherdad1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi there raider 13, thanks for your input, but can't get to that screen , i've tried to go thro the recovery console and done all the listed things it says to do but when i reboot it just comes up with the same error message.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to repair the problem by using Recovery Console. For this you will need xp installation CD. If you don't have the CD try to borrow one.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the CD drive and reboot the computer. Windows Setup screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the CD drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation, type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a password. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type (watch the spaces and other details of the command):

copy X:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v

Note: X is the drive letter in which the CD is placed.

Raider13

Raider13

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi weatherdad1 I just found this hope it helps:-http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html hope you can sort your problem out!!G/L......