Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista issues after drop

• Please log in to reply

adams0423

adams0423

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm working on a Dell Inspiron 1525. It was dropped. If I attempt to boot, it looks normal, but then reaches a blank background (black) with a white arrow (that I can move around the screen, but nothing to click on). Control Alt Delete does nothing.

I attempted to do a Repair using the Vista disk, but it does not recognize any OS installed on the system, and when I tried loading Dell harddrive drivers it doesn't appear to be accepting them.

Any other suggestions? I haven't seen a system behave quite this way before.

Thanks!

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Is your clients computer still under warrenty?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Sounds like there was some damage to the hard drive and or its file system. Run some diagnostics on it by either booting to the Drivers and Utilities CD or by holding down the <Fn> key as you turn on the computer. This will make sure that there are no physical issues with your hard drive or any other component of your system.

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
FN key worked. Dell is sending a replacement harddrive. Thanks for your help. My neighbor was getting nervous!

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Good to hear you got it sorted! Of course, be sure to check for any other damage that might need to be reported/fixed!