Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Attention Windows Users: Brace for Updates

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

It's a week of new Windows. But before you install that new beta version of the Vista Service Pack, you might want to check out our preview of observations and advice. Also, we tell you what we know about the Windows 7 beta that is expected to become available next month. And don't forget to install the Windows patches Microsoft is sending within the next few days.

Vista SP2: Six Things You Need to Know:

Eager to install Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) when it becomes available Thursday? Before you do read this guide to what you need to know.

Read our evaluation.

Vista SP2 Beta out This Week, Final Release by June:

Microsoft will open its Vista SP2 beta to anyone starting on Thursday.

Get the official word.

Windows 7 Beta Due Next Month, Microsoft Hints:

The public may get to test-drive Windows 7 as soon as early 2009, although Microsoft is still being evasive about specifics.

Get the scoop.

Expert Questions Windows 7 User Interface:

In Microsoft's quest to simplify the Windows 7 user interface, they're actually making it harder to use.

Learn the details.

SOURCE: Windows Info Center

Edited by Major Payne, 08 December 2008 - 09:03 PM.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
The biggest thing to remember is that the SP2 update is BETA. It is not meant for mass consumption yet. If you choose to update, you take the risk that something might not work right.

The same goes for Windows 7. It is BETA, do not expect it to be perfect. Do not expect your printer to work with it. Do not expect all your favorite software to work with it.

Also, as far as the PCWorld article about Windows 7 being "harder to use" is incorrect. Windows 7 has a quick start bar. In fact I find it to be much more "customizable" than Vista.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
PS, my comments are not directed toward you Major, just general comments to anyone reading.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

PS, my comments are not directed toward you Major, just general comments to anyone reading.

:) Ah, me! My skin is thicker than that, but thanks for saying so. The part about Windows 7 being "harder to use" is probably subjective on their part. They probably shouldn't have made such a statement since others may or may not find it so. :)

Edited by Major Payne, 09 December 2008 - 11:32 AM.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
ScHwErV:

Lets Hope the Vista SP2 update is NOT gonna get shot towards anyone with SP1 (Through Windows Update) without them downloading it themselves: Being Beta, I would hope that M$ doesn't force the update. I'd rather wait until the bugs are out of anything BETA before advising Anyone to download it!

Anything like this is bound to have issues, and I want to keep my OS's I work with Stable :)

Brian

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Can you find any instances in the past where Microsoft has pushed Beta Service Packs through automatic windows updates?

To even think such a thing is ludicrous.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
ScHwErV:

Can you find any instances in the past where Microsoft has pushed Beta Service Packs through automatic windows updates?

No - M$ does Not push beta software. What I meant to say was that I would hope that when they run the beta of Vista SP2, they get as many bugs out of it as they can before they end the beta phase. This is because when they are finished, they will eventually release this Service Pack to Windows Update, which means that everyone will have to download it. I've had strange occurances happen when running Windows Updates on Vista Machines, because the updates cause trouble, such as endless reboot loops, and extreme slow downs - I have been able to fix these problems with help from the wonderful people here, but being sure that the Service Pack 2 Update works well after the beta is my only concern. Changes between XP and Vista are very different, so there is a learning curve - They have made major changes to the way it operates, so I want to be sure that I can understand what is going on, and be able to fix problems that arise, which I am learning to do as I continue to use Vista. :)

As a rule. I NEVER download any beta software and would wait until the beta phase is complete - M$ has not pushed Beta Software, but I would always read up about software after the beta phase to determine what would happen after installing it - It is too soon to make any determinations as to what happens until the beta arrives, but I always remain cautious, because you have to remain on your toes.

To even think such a thing is ludicrous.

Agreed - I am not sure how long M$ runs beta cycles for, but when done, hopefully they will have dealt with as many problems as they can. It is silly to think that they would force a beta on someone, because they won't - this was my error, and I should have said that I hope the beta cycle is longer, so that when Vista SP2 comes out, it will be a seamless operation for all users.

Brian

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I've had strange occurances happen when running Windows Updates on Vista Machines, because the updates cause trouble, such as endless reboot loops, and extreme slow downs - I have been able to fix these problems with help from the wonderful people here, but being sure that the Service Pack 2 Update works well after the beta is my only concern.

Weird that you've had those experiences, I sure have heard of a lot of people having Windows Update problems, but I've never experienced a problem with them.

The only time I had a problem with Windows Update, is when I kept getting an announcement to install the same updates after I'd already installed them - but never system slowdowns or reboot loops.

Maybe I just got lucky so far... :)

Troy