Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

file and print sharing error

• Please log in to reply

Dennis48187

Dennis48187

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have four systems on my home network. two desktops (wired) two laptops (wireless)
All of them can access to the internet but one laptop and one desktop cannot access the printer
which is set for printer sharing or see the other systems on the network.
I am running XP Home with SP3.
Under Network connections I have
1. wireless,network connection,Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN no errors
2. Local Area connection, network cable unplugged, Realtek rtl8139 Family PCI ethernet nic #2

This part I am confused at, Do I need the Local area connection since I have the wireless connection?

The wireless,network connection,Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN address is listed as connected instead of assigned by DHCP

Edited by Dennis48187, 08 December 2008 - 10:48 PM.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Need a bit more info, but it maybe as simple as two of your systems having a different workgroup name than the other two, (since all 4 can get to the internet). Click on Start, Control Panel, System and go to the Computer name tab. Check that all 4 have the same workgroup name. If they are not the same, change the ones that cannot print to the same name as the ones that can. You will have to restart the systems to make the change take effect. After that, see if you can add the network printer and that your network neighborhood has all 4 systems listed.
Hope this helps...

(And no, your local area conn only is connected when a cable is in the RJ45 jack connected to a hub or router or other system. A WiFi conn is separate).