Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP: 00000135

• Please log in to reply

vvn5

vvn5

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
the exact error is as follows:

"Stop: 00000135 {unable to locate component}
This application has failed to start because STREAM.sys is not found. Re-installing
this application may fix this problem."

hello,

i've looked all over the internet and have tried many suggested solutions, but i
still haven't been able to fix my computer's stop error issue.

i have a dell computer running Win XP home edition with SP2.

Cause:
sp3 was installed by accident and i've been getting the blue screen at boot up ever
since (the initial stop error was a "stop 0x0000007b.."; after physically taking
my hard drive out for back up and putting back into the machine, the stop error became,
"stop c0000135..")

Here are the things i've done:

1) backed up files (through physical removal/remounting of the hard drive)

2) booted from win xp reinstallation cd (provided by Dell)

- tried "set up winxp" option (repair/install win)
result: got stop c00000135 error after all the scanning/repair/reboot

- tried recovery console option (C: ATTRIB -H C:\\boot.ini
C:ATTRIB -S C:\\boot.ini
C:ATRIB -R C:\\boot.ini
C: del boot.ini
C: BOOTCFG /Rebuild
C: CHKDSK /R /F
C: FIXBOOT )

result: commands were successful, no interruptions. but after rebooting the machine
(with the cd taken out), i am still back to stop c00000135 error upon reboot.

do you have any ideas about resolving this problem?

thanks for reading my post!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

:) I've read both or your threads here at G2G and also one that I believe is yours at Annoyances. You're a very patient person to have investigated your problems so well!

Stop errors can be notorious to fix, not to mention that MS is ambiguous about their definition, which makes it even tougher.

I have to assume that you cannot boot to any mode in Windows... safe or normal. You also cannot do a repair installation, and/or execute the recovery console effectively. So, it looks like you have only one option left, and that is to reinstall XP.

Is there a reason you don't/can't reinstall? I know you have all your data backed up, so a reinstall might be a quicker fix.

Edited by makai, 09 December 2008 - 12:04 PM.

vvn5

vvn5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Makai,

Thanks for your comment and advice! :) it's funny that you suggested a reinstallation of winXP because I came back to tell you (and other responders) that i had decided to reinstall my windowsXP last night.

it has been a long process in trying to bring my computer back to life and i had spent weeks researching and learning how to resolve the problem (from learning how to back up my data, to creating bootable usb flash drives/cds, to hooking my computer to a separate CD rom drive (cuz my CD drives are defective), to exploring Bios and recovery console, to dealing with just about any other error msgs (corrupt/unreadable drives, denied file access etc) that i had encountered along the way.

maybe i was just unlucky, but i have learned a lot from this experience.
Now, i'm going to reinstall all my drives and applications and restablish my Internet connection. Time to learn some more - hopefully this process will be a much smoother one! :)

I'm also happy to share what i've learned to anyone who has similar computer issues (BSOD, backing up/recovering files, cd rom drive issues, missing reinstallation Win CD, external hard drive errors etc).

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

You're welcome! It's nice to see someone invest time (like you have) to investigate and try things on their own. I'm also glad you realized that at some point in time, it was time to just reinstall. Good for you! Learning all that you did will inevitably lead you to more knowledge and maybe one day you'll be the one giving advice rather than the one asking for help! :)

Take care!