Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless lan card problem with vista

• Please log in to reply

coatsy6057

coatsy6057

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have a problem with the wireless card on my computer. I have to restart 3 or 4 times to enable the card before vista even recognises its there.

It is a Ralink RT73 usb wireless lan card. I have had this problem since i got the computer but thought it must be the driver, however windows says the current driver installed is correct. I have an Advent 9215 laptop.

Any help on this guys would be much appreicated
Thanks

Advertisements

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
If it's USB, and not being recognized, there could be a problem with the actual Device, can you try another LAN Card? When you start up and it's not there does removing the device and re-connecting it help? Also it would help to download the latest drivers for the card itself to make sure it isn't a driver issue. Even when it says it's good, a manual update would be great.

coatsy6057

coatsy6057

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for your reply,

Unfortunately i dont have another LAN card to try without buying one, when i start up the first couple of times the ralink icon appears black in the bottom right and when you hover over it, it says 'wirless card not exist'. however if you reboot a couple more times it works absolutely fine!

I have tried using driver agent and that says the driver is up to date. I have also emailed ralink but they havnt got back to me yet, i also searched the net and a ralink driver on vista apparently doesnt exist, however i find this hard to beleive when the laptop came with vista and the ralink lan card installed!

many thanks for your help

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
A quick google search shows this:
http://www.ralinktec...rt/Windows.html
Vista Driver for RALINK. Have you installed these drivers? If it still doesn't work, I would think the connection is bad, or the device is.