Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hal.dll missing, 2 OS's and clueless

• Please log in to reply

HelpMe88

HelpMe88

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I admit I'm clueless. My Hal.dll went missing and I didnt know what that meant, and I stupidly ran XP again and now have two OS's. Through posts on this site I learned that isnt a good thing and the second XP iunstalled wrong, it picks up on no audio devices and doesnt want to install new programs

my question how can i get rid of my second OS? My first one is still missing hal so i cant access it and everything i tried to get rid of a second OS I can't do, such as delete it or format

When I used repair from the XP disk it tells me i only have 1 XP installed but when the comp loads up it asks me which OS i want to use

I fear my first OS is too far gone and there's nothing i can do, please any suggestions would be great.

One last question, is there anyway I can clear both OS's and start over? I dont need to access any pass files or nothing like that, I had it all backed up on another comp, I just really want to start over

Edited by HelpMe88, 11 December 2008 - 03:13 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since all your data is backed up the simplest way is to clear format and reinstall XP. You start installing like you did before but at a certain point you have to delete the old partitions, create new ones and format. Please do this carefully, following the instructions that show up at every step.

HelpMe88

HelpMe88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok that sounds great, how do i do that?

every time i try something is goes wrong so a step by step would be wonderful and i have no idea what clear format means, sorry.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Here are Microsoft's instructions and explanation for clean install. Follow the first option.

Actually, if you did the second installation by yourself then you did most of the job and you know more then you think. Boot with XP CD in the CD driver to open the install screen. Follow the instructions carefully at each step. At a certain point you will be asked to press Esc to continue with a new installation. When you do that you will have the disk partitions displayed (one or more. Ignore the 8 MB unpartitioned space). Follow the instructions to delete all the partitions then follow the instructions to create new ones. Choose partition C: to the new installation and then choose Format to NTFS (full format. not quick). When format is finished files will be installed and the computer will stop at 33 minutes and ask for computer name and then for product key. It's all in front of your eyes. Just follow the instructions.

HelpMe88

HelpMe88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok i'm gonna go try it right now, hopefully it works, thanks so much

HelpMe88

HelpMe88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok i did what you said and now this is happening, there is still 2 OS's when the comp loads up, the top one loads with the new install then the bottom one says this when i click on it

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem, could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for addiotional infomation."

Now what do I do?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you delete all partitions before formatting? The only possibility that I see is that you had more then 1 partition, and two installations, one on each partition. If you didn't delete all the partitions you are left with one old installation.

Click Start > Run. Type msconfig and press Enter. Click Boot.INI and then click Check all Boot Pathes. Windows will check the two installations and if one is not good it will offer to delete it. Allow this. If it works then find the old windows folder and delete it.

If still no good copy Boot.INI details that show at the top and paste in your next .post

HelpMe88

HelpMe88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I did delete all of them like you told me to, now I tried what you said now

It doesnt show my 2 OS's anymore but i'm still having troubles. My programs arent right, saying the computer does not contain audio hardware, when it did, i lost my opition to stand by, when u cick to shut down computer the stand by cant be clicked and it feels funny, everything is big and the vision is killer on the eyes

and now this message shows when windows is starting:

"You have used system configuration utility to make changes to the way windows starts. The system is currently in diagnostics or seletive start up mode, cauing this message to display and utilty to run every time."

what should I do about that? I dont want to choose any of the options and make more problems, so i'm asking about eveything, sorry.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to msconfig like you did before, click Normal Startup > Apply > OK.

It's also possible that you will have to install drivers to your computer. Go to Control panel > system > hardware > device manager. See if there are any items marked with a yellow question mark.

HelpMe88

HelpMe88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
After I did the normal set up and apply it restarted with the 2 OSs again

I went to device manger and there is 3 with yellow question marks: audio and vidoe controller and my deskjet printer

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to control panel > system > advanced > settings in Startup and Recovery > edit. Copy and paste in your next post the boot.ini file that shows up.

Edit: The three items marked in Device Manager are missing their drivers. The drivers can be installed from the driver's disk that you should have gotten with your computer or can be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site.

Edited by The Skeptic, 11 December 2008 - 02:14 AM.

HelpMe88

HelpMe88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
here's what it said

"[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect"

its that second one i need to get rid of right?

It just a matter of getting it fixed right? I understand its a process but it can be fixed? My biggest worry is that I might have to take it somewhere. About the drives I have no idea where that CD might be, i'll reinstall them once the big problem is fixed. I have an HP, i can get the drives from them?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You have two installations of XP, one on each partition. This is the result of not deleting all the partitions from the hard disk as instructed.

To remove one of them you must know, first, which of the two is the good one. Boot the computer and when you reach the menu which askes you which installation to boot from, try the first and then reboot and try the next. Each time mark to yourself which is the one that works good. Partition 1 is usually marked by the letter C. Partition 2 may be marked as D, or F or whatever. If you find out that the corrupt installation is on partition 1 © for example, go back to boot.INI file, delete the second line from the bottom and save the changes, then go to disk C and delete the Windows folder. If you find that the corrup installation is on the other partition then delete the bottom line, save and delete Windows folder from D partition.

Alternatively, if you find this too complicated, start from the beginning and clean format. You must delete all your partitions and format them. Please note: when you install XP you are asked to press any key to start the installation. During the installation the computer reboots and ask you again to press any key to start the installation. Don't do that. You only do that at the beginning of the installation. Latter on let the computer pass this stage without touching any key.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys...pardon the intrusion...

When you boot the machine and select neither operating system from the list, does it boot to Windows? If it does, then it's starting the default operating system which is on partition 1. Removing the last line from the boot.ini file will remove the prompt for which operating system to start.

HelpMe88

HelpMe88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
oye now this is getting hard, when the computer turns on it shows me two lines that say windows xp home edition, the first one, the original in C: does not load, the first one, the new one does load but with missing drives. As i said before do want to just start fresh, i deleted all the partitions and reinstalled but two still came up, when i did the boot file thing, a message came up then, when i applyed normal set up the 2 OS's were back, ive done everything in this thread

are u saying i have to try deleting the partitions again? Did i do something wrong the first time?

i love this computer but its driving me crazy, if this can resolve this problem once and for all, what u suggested, please tell me step by step because im really clueless now, turn on the computer, then load Xp...? like that please, i'm such an idiot but learning alot through this so thank you all.