Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP system crash

• Please log in to reply

nyneball

nyneball

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok got a pita of a problem. windows xp randomly crashes, get blue screen boot ups saying USB controller or a driver failed{followed microsofts suggested fixes from error reporting} also got a black screen saying i need to replace windows root system32\ntoskrnl.exe. i do not have a disc todo this. i copied the file from a secondary cpu i have and installed to c system32. that didnt fix the problem, still get random total reboots. so i rolled a destructive system restore to factory shipped state and xp will still reboot. cpu runs ultra smooth untill reboot. 3 finger charming it shows only 18 processes all of which i know are clean.reboot happens randomly from installing dx9 to trying to install xp sp 2. ran disk check every thing turned up fine its a 5 year old hp so im stressing over a paper weight but i dont want to be beat by a "simple" problem

if ya need more info let me know

any suggestion would be great

Advertisements

nyneball

nyneball

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok i seem to have some how fixed the restarts but now i have a installation problem i try to install anything i get a windows installer failur. i installed Sp 2 and started on 3 after it downloaded it was half way through installing then crashed since then i cant install anything from downloads or disc. any way to remedy this ?