Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC is freezing/crashing.

• Please log in to reply

bobmgee

bobmgee

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Right, hello, my computer has been for the past ,say, 4/5 months been crashing (or freezing.) i have no idea why this is. By freezing i mean that everything just stops, the mouse dosen't move, i can't type, press ctrl alt delete. etc. the screen stays exaxctly the same and doesn't change. i can't turn it off unless i press the restart button or switch off at the mains supply.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Sorry about the late reply, we have a lot of topics come through here and sometimes some posts just slip through the cracks. :)

How often does it freeze up? How long can you use it before it freezes up? Is there any particular activity you are doing when it freezes, like playing games or watching videos online? Did you make any changes that could have caused this to happen, like changing hardware or installing a new program?

bobmgee

bobmgee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yesterday i did a log of when the computer crashed:

16:54 - 17:53 on for 59 mins

18:03 - 18:18 on for 15 mins

18:24 - 18:31 on for 7 mins

18:34 - 18:39 on for 5 mins

18:41 - 19:06 on for 25 mins

19:08 - 19:14 on for 6 mins

19:16 - 19:44 on for 28 mins

19:45 - 21:31 on for 106 mins

21:33 - 21:54 on for 21 mins

21:56 - 22:03 on for 7 mins

22:05 - 22:22 on for 17 mins

22:25 - 22:35 (shut down manually)

Each time it crashed i had to press the restart button. form start to finish i always had the same programmes running. i was watching videos from 17:10 - 18:52.

I don't recall any hardware being changed at that point. i don't think i had much software changing either but i'm not sure.
i placed this topic in hardware because my friends told me it was more likey hardware and possibly my PSU.

Thanks for any help.