Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of Death in safe and normal mode

• Please log in to reply

Yatin

Yatin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
To All,

My Windows XP home PC (Dell XPS 400) has been acting up. In normal windows startup mode, it freezes at the User login screen. I am able to boot the system in "safe mode" but it doesn't let me do anything. As soon as I try opening a folder or try using any program, the Blue screen comes up. This all started after I scanned my computer with an anti-virus software called "Webroot". The error message on the screen is as follow:

STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XF8380B75, 0XF7CE12AC, 0X00000000)

Please, help me in resolving this issue since I need to use this PC ASAP. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
Welcome to geeks to go

If your in safe mode, can you get to the restore points? and restore to a time before the scan?

Go to start/ all programs/ accessories/ system tools/ system restore

Edited by 123Runner, 12 December 2008 - 08:23 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
As last resort you can use the dell restore.

Restore the System Using Norton Ghost

Norton Ghost™ is available on Dell™ Dimension™ and Inspiron™ systems that shipped on
or after Oct. 18, 2005 in the Americas and 18 Feb. 2006 in Europe. If your system
does not have Norton Ghost available, please refer to: "How to Reinstall Microsoft®
Windows®, Drivers, and Software on a Dell™ Computer" Article ID: 295204 for
installation instructions.

http://support.dell....p;treeid=295204

1. Verify the modem or network cable is detached from the computer.
2. Start the computer.
3. When the Dell splash screen appears during startup, press <Ctrl> + <F11> and release them at the same time.

Note:
Press the key combination only once. If you press them more than once, a keyboard error occurs. Restart the computer and repeat the steps above.

4. Click Accept when the Symantec|Dell Recovery Environment End User License Agreement screen appears. The Symantec Recovery Disk window appears displaying two

options:

* Recover My Computer - Restores your computer to a backup point:
1. Click Recover My Computer.
2. When the Select Recovery Point window appears, click to select the recovery point from which you want to restore, and click Recover My Computer.

3. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.

* Recover My Computer to Original Dell Configuration - Restore your computer to its original Dell configuration:

1. Click Recover My Computer to Original Dell Configuration. The Recover My Computer Wizard window appears.

2. Click Yes and press <Enter>.

3. Click Yes when the Recover My Computer Wizard dialog box appears, and press <Enter>.

The Ghost32 window appears, and the restore process begins, which takes approximately

8 to 10 minutes to complete. When complete, the computer restarts.

srx660

Yatin

Yatin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you "123 Runner" and "SRX60" for your immediate repy. I have tried doing system restore but it won't let me do it. It will let me choose an earlier date but then when I click on "Next" button, it doesn't do anything. Many times it won't even let me in the "safe mode" or "regula windows boot mode". I am trying to run anti-virus program whenever I can get into Safe Mode but it crashes once the program fires up. I can I guess try putting it back to the initial mode (the way it came from Dell) but I would like to backup data before I reinstall XP. Please, let me know if you guys have any other thoughts which I can try out. Can't install HiJack either since it crashes if I try.

Thanks again, guys for all your help.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you can borrow a regular windows XP CD you can do a repair install with it. It should not affect any other software but it may if dell has changes any files in the windows folder.

SRX660