Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building A Budget gaming pc

• Please log in to reply

Darken1

Darken1

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I am planning on building a gaming computer for around 1000 dollars. Single video card, with the chance to upgrade in the future, I don't ever see myself needing to crossfire or sli two video cards though. These are the components I have been looking at,

APEVIA X-TELSTAR (ATX Mid tower)
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R (Motherboard)
EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V (power)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (RAM)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB (HDD)
ZALMAN 9500 (CPU fan)
64-bit Windows Vista
and a samgsung dvd burner drive

I have a few questions like, will my video card fit in this tower I saw a picture of a evga 9800GTX+ in it but I know these gtx cards are pretty big?

My motherboard has a FSB of 1600/1333 but the processor has a FSB of 1066 will this effect my proformance in games and should I upgrade to a processor that has a 1333mHz rating?

The Zalman heatsink looks kind of big do you think it might prevent me from using my ram since it has the large cooling pipes sticking up out of them?

Will a 64 bit os play all of the games that I have been playing on vista 32bit, like the original call of duty and source games?

Will the power supply provide enough power for my video card and other devices?

Also I don't know much about RAM other than more is better, will the Ram I selected work well or slow down my performance, is there a better choice for my motherbaord?

Thank you for your time any help would be appreciated.

Also If you would like me to post any of the picks of the products to help you please tell me and I will do so.

Thanks,

Andrew

Advertisements

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I have a few questions like, will my video card fit in this tower I saw a picture of a evga 9800GTX+ in it but I know these gtx cards are pretty big?

The graphics card should fit. I know that when I made mine, it was a little hard getting the cables to go around, but it worked.

My motherboard has a FSB of 1600/1333 but the processor has a FSB of 1066 will this effect my proformance in games and should I upgrade to a processor that has a 1333mHz rating?

There won't be any problems with the two combined. The motherboard can just support up to 1600 FSB.

The Zalman heatsink looks kind of big do you think it might prevent me from using my ram since it has the large cooling pipes sticking up out of them?

You won't have a problem with this either.

Will a 64 bit os play all of the games that I have been playing on vista 32bit, like the original call of duty and source games?

Almost all companies have released updates that make X64-Bit gaming smoother, so you shouldn't have a problem with this either.

Will the power supply provide enough power for my video card and other devices?

750-Watts should be plenty for the components you have selected.

Also I don't know much about RAM other than more is better, will the Ram I selected work well or slow down my performance, is there a better choice for my motherbaord?

OCZ makes some of the best RAM in my opinion. The RAM you selected will be perfect for your system.

Cheers :)
Anton

Edited by X IBLaCK0uT X, 13 December 2008 - 11:58 AM.

Darken1

Darken1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you for the reply I have been looking at the stuff for a week now trying to see what would be best I am still having trouble deciding if I should go for the 2.4ghz quad core running 1066mhz or the dual core 3.16ghz running at 1333mhz.

Thank you again for the help

Andrew

Edited by Darken1, 14 December 2008 - 01:50 AM.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I would go with a quad core, it will serve you longer as more and more programs coming out will take advantage of the more cores. But for gaming a dual is preferred.

Cheers :)
Anton

Edited by X IBLaCK0uT X, 14 December 2008 - 08:54 AM.