Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Drive on Acer Aspire 5920 computer wont read DVD/CD's (wind

• Please log in to reply

Samjane1989

Samjane1989

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My Acer Aspire 5920 is only about 2 months old and recently for no reason whatsoever it has stopped reading my DVDs and CDs. It was working fine and everytime i used to put a DVD in it automatically started playing on Windows Media Centre. Now even when i go into My Computer it says that there is no disc in the drive when there is. I click on the drive and it says "please insert disc into drive F". It doesn't even sound like it is tryin to read the DVD when i put it in (no spinning disc noises which i would expect).
I don't know anything about computers and i was hoping that someone can help me?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

2 months old

Still under warranty. Take advantage of it.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Let's have you uninstall the DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
  • In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
  • Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
  • Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

----------------------------

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

----------------------------

If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above.

Samjane1989

Samjane1989

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
I have tried all of the above and it still doesn't seem to be reading any of my DVD's or CD's, the same box pops up when i click on the drive in My Computer.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Do you have a computer that can burn CDs, or do you have a recovery disk from Acer? I want to try booting to that CD to see if the drive works outside of Windows.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If it doesn't, the drive must be dead.

Samjane1989

Samjane1989

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i dont have a recovery disc from Acer but my computer can burn CD's?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hmmmm... let's go ahead and try burning a light variant of Linux to a CD. Then we'll try booting to this CD to test functionality outside of Windows.

First, let's burn the CD. Get the ISO of Puppy Linux from here. We're using a slightly older version for full compatibility. If you don't have an ISO burning program that you are comfortable using, you should also get BurnCDCC from here, which I highly recommend so we're on the same page.

To make the CD using BurnCDCC, perform the following steps.
  • Install and Start BurnCDCC.
  • Find the puppy-2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso file that you downloaded.
  • Select the ISO file.
  • Click on Start.
  • BurnCDCC will open the drive, please put a blank CD in and close the drive.
Once the CD is made, go ahead and just leave it in the drive and shut down your computer. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the <F12> key, which will get you to a Boot Device Selection menu. Locate the entry for the CD/DVD drive, arrow down to it, and press Enter. This should begin to boot into Puppy Linux, and test the CD drive's functionality.

The most important part is what happens after you press Enter, so please watch very carefully and write down any error messages you might see.

Edited by The Admiral, 13 December 2008 - 10:49 AM.

Samjane1989

Samjane1989

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi,

i didn't even get as far as downloading that puppy-2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso as it wouldn't download. tried it twice and a message came up saying "internet explorer cannot download ... operation timed out"

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hmmmm... try going here, then clicking on puppy-2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso.

Samjane1989

Samjane1989

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
its downloaded fine from there, iv also downloaded the other thing aswell, im going to buy some blank CD's 2moro and il try and burn it then

Samjane1989

Samjane1989

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi, sorry about the late reply. it wouldn't even let me burn the disc it said "driver busy" then "no disc inserted" straight afterwards, when i had put the blank cd in. I had downloaded both the burncdcc and the iso file.

CloClo7

CloClo7

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know this is old....but I found it through google and just had to say a massive thanks. After a year without a working CD-drive I have managed to sort it out (something the computer guy I took it to couldn't do).

Its pretty easy to follow (even for a techo-phobe 16 year old girl lol), and I couldn't believe how easy it actually was.

My CD-drive disappeared (along with my Windows Performance Index rating which stopped it performing even basic things) after I got a virus off my school system. My laptop (exact model that was being discussed here) had been able to use Microsoft office programs, the internet and itunes but thats it for 12 months....couldn't even get on Solitare. And now its basically good as new :)

So a big thanks!

Edited by CloClo7, 26 May 2010 - 12:22 PM.

leonaisminasmom

leonaisminasmom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. Need some help. My Mom has an Acer Aspire 5253-BZ692. We do not have a restore disk, it did not come with one. I had read on several sites that if the computer does not come with a disk there is a way to restore on a partition disk that is hidden. I can not find where to access it or how to access it. We did the Restore Operating System to Factory Defaults first then comp shut down and said no bootable device-insert disk into cd drive. So I went back in using Alt F10 and ran the Restore Operating System and Retain User Data. Nothing. I can not afford to buy the cd @ $20.00 from Acer and can not find it on another site. Please help. Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: leonaisminasmom

Couple of questions if I may;

Is the computers operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
Do you have the Microsoft OS 25 digit product key in case it is required.
Is there any data on the HDD that your Mum would like to try and back up before we continue.
Do you have access to a second computer that has internet access.
Did you follow the steps below but without success.

1. Power on the computer
2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the Alt key and press the F10 key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery.
3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click Restore to Factory Default Settings
4. Click OK to continue
5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
6. Once eRecovery has run, press OK to reboot unit

Tip for future referance
Please do not post inside another members topic, your computer issue/s may appear to be the same but be completely different + your request for assistance may be overlooked as staff and members will check a topic that has yet to receive a reply but they may not if it appears that assistance has already been offered to the OP.