Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP showing incorrect RAM.

• Please log in to reply

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I recently added a 2 GB RAM chip into my PC. I had 2.5 GB installed before. I have 4 slots on the motherboard with max allowable of 8 GB, 2 GB max each slot. So I have 1 GB, 1 GB, 512 MB, and my fourth slot the new one added 2 GB. The BIOS is reporting the correct number which is 4.5 GB. In XP in the system properties its showing 2.87 GB.
I checked the /MAXMEM value in System Configuration and its not checked.
I also ran a crucial system scan and its reporting 4.5 GB. So not sure why XP is showing 2.87 GB.
I am sure that the RAM is the correct for the PC.
Any help would be great, thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
32 BIT XP can only recognize/use 4 gb of ram...i bet if you took the 512 out it would show 4 gb

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I took the 512 out and its still showing 2.87 GB of RAM. For the info I have a HP Pavilion a6110n.
The 2 GB RAM chip is DDR2 667 MHz.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello drlovemoose

dsenette is correct that 32-bit software can only recognize/use 4 gb of ram. I have built systems with 4gb of ram with 32-bit operating systems and it only shows me 3gb which is a typical reading. In some diagnostic softwares it may show something along the side of 3097mb which is correct for 4gb but from what I have seen it will not show 4gb in the computer properties within the operating system it-self.

Like dsenette says if you take the 512mb out it should come close to about 3gb but please note if you use onboard graphics this will reduce your ram :)

Regards

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
So just to clear things up, 2.86 is the closest it will get to 4 GB? So its really not worth putting in a 2 GB chip I can just stay with the extra 512 MB chip. But I have seen PCs running almost 4 GB on XP 32 showing about 3.96 or something along those lines.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

I recently added a 2 GB RAM chip into my PC. I had 2.5 GB installed before

What I would do if this was me is keep the 2gb chip in, add the other 2gb chip aswell but leave the 512 out. This will show about 3 - 3.5gb of ram.

But I have seen PCs running almost 4 GB on XP 32 showing about 3.96 or something along those lines.

Are you totally sure? 32-bit will only show 3 - 3.5gb, it will never use all 4gb of ram unless its a 64-bit operating system.

So just to clear things up, 2.86 is the closest it will get to 4 GB?

You should get 3gb flat if you leave the 2 2gb chips in.

Regards

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I did leave the 2 x 1 GB chips in and the 2 GB chip. The 512 is out and still showing 2.87 GB.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

I did leave the 2 x 1 GB chips in and the 2 GB chip. The 512 is out and still showing 2.87 GB.

Then you must be using onboard graphics instead of a dedicated graphics card, to make this sound easier does your monitor connect to a blue port which is just below or to the side of the ps/2 connections? if so you are using onboard graphics and this will reduce your ram.

regards

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
yes the monitor is connected to a blue port above the mouse port. So how can I change these settings or can I do anything to increase my RAM?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

yes the monitor is connected to a blue port above the mouse port. So how can I change these settings or can I do anything to increase my RAM?

You will need to go into the BIOS, now please note I am not a pro in this area but I can give you a rough idea where to go. Upon bootup you will see something along the lines of press F2 to enter setup or press del to enter setup which ever it says press that and if done correctly you will be presented with a blue screen. You will need to find an option called onboard devices and then the graphics option where you will be able to increase or decrease the value. When you have decided how much graphics you require goto save and exit to apply the changes.

Please note you may not see these exact names but you will see something similar. Like I said I am no pro with the BIOS but this should help you with the problem you are having.

Regards

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Looks like its a PCI card. Thats what it says in the BIOS. And I do not see any values. Thanks for your help.

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
so do you think I can check anything else?

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
do you really need the extra ram? unless you are doing some serious video editing, cad or something along those lined 2gb is enough, i ran crysis with 1gb of ram at 40-60 fps before. Try to run one 2gb stick and one 1 gig stick and see if it shows. Running two 1gb stick in dual channel would be better than having one 2gb stick

Edited by yevgenievich, 12 December 2008 - 09:24 PM.

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
So if I install XP 64 it should recognize 4.5 GB no problem?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

So if I install XP 64 it should recognize 4.5 GB no problem?

not unless you've got a 64bit processor and motherboard...

there's obviously something iffy going on if you're not seeing closer to 4 gb at the moment....i don't think you'll see a big difference between 3gb or 3.5 compared to the 2.87 you're showing...but i know it's hard when you paid for something and you're not seeing it...