Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does Anyone Know MS's Policy On Full Retail Versions

• Please log in to reply

geosibley

geosibley

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I've asked this question to many different people over the past two days and have received contradictory answers.
I intend to purchase the full retail version of XP Home and install it on my present computer. In about 1 year I will get a new computer. Under what conditions, if any, can I install it on my new computer?

Thanks for any help,

geosibley

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I've asked this question to many different people over the past two days and have received contradictory answers.

If you keep asking aren't you bound to get more contradictory answers? Who are you finally going to believe? And, when?

If you REALLY want to know what you can do, then you should mosey on over to Microsoft and ACTUALLY READ the EULA for XP HOME!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello geosibley...

A Retail version of Windows may be legally installed on any machine you own so long as it is only installed on one machine at any given time. The product license is tied to you as the owner of the license.

An OEM version is tied to the hardware it is originally installed on and may not be transferred to another machine. The product license is registered to the machine rather than the owner.

wannabe1

geosibley

geosibley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey wannabe1 ,

Short, precise, and to the point. Thanks for your input.

geosibley

geosibley

geosibley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi wannabe1,

Your reply is short, courteous, to the point, and very easy to understand. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again,

geosibley :)