Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build: Case Fans controlled by mobo or fan controller

• Please log in to reply

97Sport

97Sport

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Im sure this question has been asked alot and has been answered but I have not found the topic on this forum or the internet at all. Let me first start by giving you the specs on my system:

Apevia X-Jupiter S Jr. Case w/80mm rear fan and 250mm side fan
Iceberg 680 SLI ready PSU
Asus P5N-D n Force 750i SLI socket 775 motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 Ghz Socket 775 processor
Corsair 2x2Gb DDR2 RAM
XFX GeForce 9800 GTX Plus 512mb PCIe Video Card
Lite-On DVDRW 20x SATA
Zerotherm Butterfly CPU Cooler
Hitachi 750 Gb SATA HDD

Now to my question: the case has a fan controller on the front and the connectors on the fans don't have a 3 pin for connection to the motherboard. I know there are adapters out to where I can hook it to the motherboard if I so decide to or I have an extra fan that has the 3 pin connector that I can cut off the connector and solder the wires to the leads on the fans. The manual for the motherboard states "If installing a dual core CPU, connect the chassis cable to the CHA_FAN1 connector to ensure system stability" (Asus P5N-D Manual 2.6).

Should I do as the manual says or use the fan controller on the front of the chassis? What about having the 250mm side fan connected to the controller as to have constant fan speed and then the 80mm rear fan connected to the motherboard? This is my first build and I want to do it right.

Which is better and which will setup will avoid trouble codes being tripped?

I have everything fitted in the case and the cable routed. All Im lacking is the fan issue. I just want to go ahead and thank ya'll for the help upfront.

Also this is my first post on the site.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome :)

What about having the 250mm side fan connected to the controller as to have constant fan speed and then the 80mm rear fan connected to the motherboard? This is my first build and I want to do it right.

That sounds pretty good to me. :)

Troy