Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what is framebuf?

• Please log in to reply

texasredneck

texasredneck

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
its an old dell optiplex i put in a hd and the reinstallation cd w/win xp it went through all the formatting and itstallation but when i try to boot up it gives me a blue screen and tells me the problem is the framebuf and the tech info is
0x000000ea (0x80e69720,0x80ec7dc8,0x80ea1d38,0x00000001)can anybody tell me what it means and how to fix it. :)

Edited by texasredneck, 13 December 2008 - 03:02 PM.

Advertisements

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
It is probably your video card. What kind of video card are you using?

texasredneck

texasredneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
its an old fastware vc963c-3d i think, i got it from an old computer my company was throwing away
or it could be an acn 072 987 136 im trying to upgrade the video from 24 bit to 32 bit
any help you give i would be real thankful for

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Ya its probably the graphics card, they were throwing away those things for a reason!! But I would definitly think about getting a different graphics card, preferrably a nVidia or an ATI.

Cheers :)
ROIDO

texasredneck

texasredneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thank you for the reply i will throw that v-card out and try a different i have 2 more to try

texasredneck

texasredneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
now it takes a long time to reinstall the windows xp it gets to 34% and seems to get stuck anybody know what causes that its not a computer that i use for anything important im just trying to setup a test computer that if i fry it it wont matter to much

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
hmm there could be a problem with either your hard drive, or your installation disk. Have you used that disc to install xp on any other computers?

texasredneck

texasredneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
no its the reinstallation disk for dell only and i have just the one

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
hmmm :) it has to be your hard drive. I can't think of anything else that would cause that except the disc.

Edited by =OSS*ROID=, 16 December 2008 - 06:52 PM.

texasredneck

texasredneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
well i took the hdd out and put it my other comp and it recognizes it and im able to transfer programs on it. i also looked for any bad sectors and found none.

Advertisements

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
maybe a bad disc :) I really don't know. I mean if the hard drive works in your other computer, then it's not the hard drive. Have you tried reinstalling an OS with this disc before?

texasredneck

texasredneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yes when i first got that computer i used the reinstall disk from dell. since its not the disk for that particular computer would that have anything to keep it from downloading. its got me stumped, it was in my little girlss room w/a 20g hdd and it worked fine,slow but fine. thanks for your help so far

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
It doesn't matter if the disc is for the Dell, I have used my Dell OS reinstallation on a custom PC and on a Gateway. Have you actually used this disc before?

texasredneck

texasredneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i have used this disk on this computer when i first got it but it was a bigger hdd. i dont think that the size of the hdd would matter, but i dont know a whole lot about computers.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Windows XP takes about 5GB of hard drive space, so as long as you have atleast 5GB of space on your hard drive, then you are fine. Now I would try getting a new disc from either Dell or just buying a new Windows XP disc. Then try it out. If it doesn't work, then you can just return the disc.

Cheers :)
ROIDO