Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msconfig Before Hijack This log?

• Please log in to reply

DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Greetings! You guys have helped me before and I think I need your help again.

I am about to do all the prep work before posting a Hijack this log, but I have 2 questions first.

My questions pertain to this statement:

System Settings
If you have anything disabled by MSConfig or any other startup manager, please re-enable them before running any scans, or posting a Hijack This log.

First Question -

I just curious as to why this needs to be done. I have about 40 items listed under the Startup tab of MSConfig, about a dozen of which are enabled. Some of the others are duplicates, some others I don't want running at startup. How does enabling things I don't normally use (including duplicates) help you experts clean up a system?

Second Question -

The System Settings statement about MSConfig is the 3rd item in the prep list, after ATF Cleaner and ERUNT, yet it says to enable all items "before running any scans". Since I tend to be a step-by-step kind of guy, it seems to me that this should be the 1st item in the list, not the 3rd. Does "any scans" include ATF Cleaner and ERUNT - meaning that I should enable everything before running those 2 utilities?

Any info you could provide so that I do this in the most efficient manner would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Hello DerbyDad03

Welcome to G2Go. :)
=====================
The enabling the Startups in Msconfig is so we can see if any malware is present, sometimes malware can look like a legitimate process so it's best that we have a look at whatever is running on your computer.

The System Settings statement about MSConfig is the 3rd item in the prep list, after ATF Cleaner and ERUNT, yet it says to enable all items "before running any scans". Since I tend to be a step-by-step kind of guy, it seems to me that this should be the 1st item in the list, not the 3rd. Does "any scans" include ATF Cleaner and ERUNT - meaning that I should enable everything before running those 2 utilities?

Scans meaning Virus Spyware antimalware scans.
Those make a backup of the entire registry and Atf deletes Temp files so it would not affect either of those programs.

If you would like for me to help you then please post your Hijackthis log if you do not need assistance let me know and and I will close this topic.