Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Settings...

• Please log in to reply

Imperfect

Imperfect

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have a Brother MFC-3240C color printer and it's set so that it won't print anything once one of the cartridges is empty; this can obviously pose a problem when I need to print a document in black ink and the printer won't let me because it's out of yellow ink; totally irrelevant to the situation. I'm not sure if this type of issue would be described in the instruction manual but I was hoping that there might be some chance I could get advice on how to change the settings by going through the folders pertaining to the printer saved on my computer.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Every printer, I ever used, did very same thing. I don't think, there is any way around.
How often do you buy yellow ink, anyway?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I have a Brother MFC-3240C color printer and it's set so that it won't print anything once one of the cartridges is empty; this can obviously pose a problem when I need to print a document in black ink and the printer won't let me because it's out of yellow ink; totally irrelevant to the situation. I'm not sure if this type of issue would be described in the instruction manual but I was hoping that there might be some chance I could get advice on how to change the settings by going through the folders pertaining to the printer saved on my computer.

Some printers if you force them to print in black and white in the Printer Settings will ignore the color cartridges being out of ink. Even if the page is black and white, if you don't SPECIFY black and white in the settings, it will use some colors for subtle shadings. That being said, this is not always the case and some printers lock it out (I think to force you to buy more ink).

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 13 December 2008 - 08:36 PM.