Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage at 100%

• Please log in to reply

killallviruses

killallviruses

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
I have bought panda Internet Security 2009 and also upgraded my ram to 4gig DDR2 Ram within the last 3 weeks

What is going on

Attached Thumbnails

• cpu.JPG

Edited by killallviruses, 14 December 2008 - 07:00 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello killallviruses...

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1

killallviruses

killallviruses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
I dont seem to have a secondary IDE Channel, but 2 Primary IDE Channels

See pic

Attached Thumbnails

• cpu2.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's ok...just list the Current Transfer Modes for the two Primary channels.

killallviruses

killallviruses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Ultra DMA Mode 2
Ultra DMA Mode 5

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Those are correct if you only have 1 HDD and 1 optical drive aboard.

Have you had your rig checked for malware? There are quite a few infections that can cause issues like this...some are not easily detected by scanners.

killallviruses

killallviruses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
I do have an external HDD

I use Malware Bytes nearly everyday, is there any other programs I should be using

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
External HDD's generally connect through the USB ports and should not cause the symptoms you describe. That's not to say that they can't cause the problem...it's just not real likely.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log for analysis in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

killallviruses

killallviruses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Ive got to this part

'If you have anything disabled by MSConfig or any other startup manager, please re-enable them before running any scans, or posting a Hijack This log.'

Do I need to enable everything in Startup & Services??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Some processes and services are used by malware so having a bunch disabled may interfere with the detection process. It's best to have everything enabled while looking for infections.

If you wish to have legit services and/or processes disabled for performance reasons, write down the disabled ones before you enable everything...so you can disable them again if you so desire.