Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi,

I recently went round my boss' house in order to sort out some problems he was having with computers. One of those problems was that he was unable to connect to his wireless network at home.

He is connected to the internet via a cable from BlueYonder, which goes into a Motorola modem. This is then connected to a Linksys WRT54G router, to which his and his wife's desktop computers are connected by ethernet. He also has an old Dell Laptop running XP and a new one (not sure of brand) running Vista.

I went tround there to try and network a new ADSL connection, but there was something wrong with his line which meant we had to go back to the old cable one.

The reason he wanted to change routers is because the Vista laptop wouldn't connect to theLinksys and if it did, on connection you would receive the 'Limited or no Connectivity'

I did a factory reset, changed the WEP key 'et voila!' the Vista laptop worked. But now the XP one doesn't. It connects to the network fine, with excellent signal etc. but when he opens Firefox, a pop-up window appears informing that Firefox could not connect to the server.

I have set the connection so that the IP address and DNS Server address is obtained automatically, so cannot see any problem there.

Has anyone got any ideas as to why he can't connect?

Tom.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
If you go to a command prompt and type:
ping 4.2.2.1
do you get replies back? You should get 4 of them about 1 second apart. If that works, it means you've got internet connectivity. Next, type:
ping google.com
and see if you get a similar response. You should see a line where DNS translates the name "google.com" to an IP address and the replies start. If you don't see that translation, DNS isn't working and you'll want to run:
ipconfig /all (there's a space between "ipconfig" and "/")
and make sure you see an IP address assigned to your ethernet device (should most likely be 192.168.?.?) and verify that there are IPs listed for the DNS server, Gateway, etc.

Let us know what you find.

Edited by 98springer, 17 December 2008 - 12:16 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
hate to ask the obvious
Did you change the WEP on the xp?
cheers
Peterm