Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe

• Please log in to reply

b_06_long

b_06_long

• Pip
  • 8 posts
So, I have a question.
The other day I was sitting at my computer and I noticed that the screen cleared itself of all of the icons and then returned to normal. However, when I tried to open Internet Explorer, it wouldn't allow the screen to come up. I decided to just turn it off and then start it up again to see if that helped things. After the initial loading screen came up, this black screen came up right before the screen where I enter my password into came up. It had an error message that read the following:

lsass.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x00401082" refereded memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written"
Click OK to terminate the program
Click Cancel to debug the program

I have tried both options, but then the error message just goes away and all I have left is the black screen with my mouse arrow. What do you recommend I do?

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Sounds like the Sasser virus? I haven't seen it in many months but it did attack lsass.exe. What anti-virus are you running?

securityhead88

securityhead88

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Most of system corruptions are results of virus infections.
Just perform the usual update - scan - delete of your computer. I believe that will give you a good starting point where the problem is coming.
:)

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
But in this case it sounds like it already in. I think Sasser disabled lots of AVs, (my memory isn't what it used to be)... :)

b_06_long

b_06_long

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, see, I would run a virus scan, but my whole screen is literally just a black screen.
And has been that way since Saturday night.
What do you think I should do now?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Malware advice is ONLY given in the malware forum, and ONLY by malware experts.
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
lsass.exe (first letter is lower case "L") is legit Windows file.
Isass.exe (first letter is capital "i") is a trojan.

Edited by Broni, 15 December 2008 - 09:46 PM.

b_06_long

b_06_long

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I appreciate all of the links and all, but how do I run these programs on my computer if there is nothing on the screen?
Right now I am using another computer, so I have no access to any programs on my laptop.
Is there something I should be doing to make programs run?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Do you have Windows CD?

b_06_long

b_06_long

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I doubt it, but I could always look.
What do I do if I do have it?
Is it an orange CD by chance?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It says "Windows XP", and it has a holograms all over.
If you find it, you can check, if you can boot from it. Then, there are some repair options available.

b_06_long

b_06_long

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well, i was able to find the cds for reinstallation of my dell operating system and my devices.
would those help at all?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That CD will return your computer to its original state (like it came to you from the store). All your personal data, and the programs, YOU installed will be lost, so it's a last resort.
Do you have any backups of your files?
Did you try to boot to Safe Mode (start computer, keep tapping F8 key, until menu appears)?
Can you borrow Windows XP CD?

b_06_long

b_06_long

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well, i just tried the F8 thing, and it didn't work.
i think i might be able to borrow a CD from someone, if I can find one...

b_06_long

b_06_long

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
okay i finally got the F8 thing to work.
i went to safe mode, and it just has this huge list of things, and doesn't go any further than that.