Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Connecting 2 PC's Through A Router

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Hey folks...My father-in-law has asked for some help networking a desktop PC and a laptop together. He actually asked me to help him do this about a year ago.

At the time, I purchased for him a Intellinet DSL/CABLE Modem Router and thought it would be a piece of cake networking the two. I have done this before on several occassions at home with the PC's I have there and never ran into any problems. I have always used a Linksys router and it's been so easy - just plug the PC's into the ports and they work.

Well, that's not the case here. I can connect either the desktop PC or laptop via the router and get an Internet connection for one of them, but not for both. He told me he had a guy (his lingo for a "techie") come out and take a look at both computers. This guy told him that the desktop PC was not set up to share a network connection with another computer. This was a couple of months ago. I just found out that the guy did come and talk to him, but never came back to do the work needed to get this network set up because he went out of business (hmm, go figure).

Anyway, so it's back on my shoulders to try and get this up and running properly. If anyone has expertise with this process, I'd sure like to hear from you. I'm only at the father-in-law's house every other week or so, so it may take some time, but I do want to get this working for him.

Thanks

Greg

Advertisements

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
I'm not sure what you're trying to do/what the problem is.
Are you trying to use the router to get both computers on the internet or use the router to connect the two computers so they can share files. Are they both wired, both wireless, or one wireless one wired.

I'm also assuming this is the router you have-
http://www.graycable...m/930-9224.html

On a sidenote, routers will work if you just plug them in but I highly suggest securing them unless you like sharing your signal with the neighborhood. It's not right, but most neighbors will piggyback.

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 15 December 2008 - 04:30 AM.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Just a few questions..

operating systems on both machines? File and Printer sharing installed on the network in both systems? Both machines part of the same Workgroup? Have you shared a folder to the network on each system? (Please do not share the root directory of C:, just a folder on the drive).

When you say only one system can get to the internet, which one?

Sorry for so many questions, but with answers to these, I'll be able to help, (cross fingers)..

Are you familiar with the command prompt? When both are attached to the router, open a command prompt on each system and type, IPCONFIG /ALL and press enter. Tell us what it says for both systems...

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
The goal with this router is to get both the desktop PC and the laptop connecting to the Internet and able to share files between one another.

When I first hooked up the router and connected both PC's to it, I could access the Internet on just one of them at a time. It just depended on which PC I chose to access the Internet from first. That would then prevent the other PC from accessing the Internet.

Both PC's are running Windows XP Home edition. This is not a wireless setup. As far as I know, file and print sharing have not been set up yet for both PC's and they are not part of the same work group.

As for the command prompt, I am familiar with it, but won't be in front of either PC again until this coming weekend. I can run IPCONFIG/All then and post the results here at that time.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Edited by konakula29er, 15 December 2008 - 10:57 AM.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
I'd imagine that having the notebook wireless and the desk station acting as a print server would be the best option, but perhaps the notebook doesn't have built in WiFi? Anyway, since you will only be there this weekend, I'll try to wrap my head around it a bit more...

Odd that only one system has internet access depending upon which gets plugged in 1st... Which Antivirus is on these systems?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I'd imagine that having the notebook wireless and the desk station acting as a print server would be the best option, but perhaps the notebook doesn't have built in WiFi? Anyway, since you will only be there this weekend, I'll try to wrap my head around it a bit more...

Odd that only one system has internet access depending upon which gets plugged in 1st... Which Antivirus is on these systems?

Both of these PC's will be part of a wired network. I'm not looking to WiFi anything for my father-in-law. I just need to get it up and running in the most basic format as possible. I believe the desktop has Avast Antivirus and the notebook Norton.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
From my experience, Norton can cause major problems for simple networks. I'd advise changing the notebook over to Avast... That may solve your problem.

Since this network is going to be all wired, turn off the WiFi in the router back door and setup the printer on the desktop shared to the network. That will allow the notebook to print without having to change any cables...

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

From my experience, Norton can cause major problems for simple networks. I'd advise changing the notebook over to Avast... That may solve your problem.

Since this network is going to be all wired, turn off the WiFi in the router back door and setup the printer on the desktop shared to the network. That will allow the notebook to print without having to change any cables...

Sounds like I've got some work to do this weekend. I'll let you know how it worked soon. Thanks!

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
It's actually easier than you'd think, but Norton doesn't trust networks unless it is configured to do so. You may want to check out how many live update entries are in the event log each and every day, (scary). Make sure that all of Norton is removed, including Live Update. Just be sure both systems are using the same Workgroup name, (Computer Name tab in System control panel) and try to share at least one folder on each machine to the network. Sometimes the other workstation will not appear until there's something actively shared. The router sounds like its assigning IP addresses ok, since you were able to bring up the internet. I've had many cases were clients had bought Norton and installed it and no more local network anymore. One case actually disabled other workstations from using a shared printer that were not using Norton.

One other tip. Do not share the root directory of C: because if a virus did happen to get in it would have access to every folder on the system. I usually create a folder inside of the My Documents folder and share that. Just right mouse click on a folder and choose "Sharing and Security". Acknowledge that you just want to share the folder and allow other users to change files. You will find the printer sharing in the Printer properties.

Good luck...