Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing drivers = No signal after XP boot

• Please log in to reply

muffins

muffins

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
When I don't have any drivers installed (like right now as I rock 640x480)I can boot up no problem. When I install drivers (have tried old/new/beta drivers, reseating card, etc....) I lose monitor signal between the transition of the Windows XP boot screen and "Choose your account" screen.

Specs:
Windows XP SP3 (updated)
GeForce 8800GT (have tried stable AND beta drivers)

Advertisements

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
first of all just unplug every pci, pcie, agp cards and install the o/s. after finishing the o/s then plug the agp cards(video card) use its stable v of driver, beta might be buggy. If u still have a problem then run computer with onboard video card.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
There is no on-board card on this one. I'd really rather not reformat unless its my last resort. I've already done an XP repair.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Can you safe mode start? That should only load the windows driver for your video. Are you using drivers downloaded from Nvidia?

If you can safe mode start, you should be able to system restore to before your driver install and try another one. You may have a bad video card though....

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I guess u don't understand what I mean? every mobo must have inbuild VGA. I suggest u to use that VGA not AGP cards.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Not every MB has a built in video circuit, (most do now but in days past, not always). Muffins, what is your MB?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I guess u don't understand what I mean? every mobo must have inbuild VGA. I suggest u to use that VGA not AGP cards.

I second what Mark D says, A LOT of motherboards even today do not have integrated graphics. Especially high end motherboards with lots of features where space is limited due to the sheer amount of hardware for the features.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
My motherboard is Core 2 Quad Q6600

Everything was working fine the day before. I installed TVersity and VLC Remote (both apps for remote connection via iphone) but uninstalled them just in case one of them was doing something and still no good. I've run an AV scan, hijackthis, etc...

When I boot into safe mode it does run fine. I am able to delete the drivers and when I do I am able to boot into normal mode w/ the default drivers.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

My motherboard is Core 2 Quad Q6600

Everything was working fine the day before. I installed TVersity and VLC Remote (both apps for remote connection via iphone) but uninstalled them just in case one of them was doing something and still no good. I've run an AV scan, hijackthis, etc...

When I boot into safe mode it does run fine. I am able to delete the drivers and when I do I am able to boot into normal mode w/ the default drivers.

Core2Quad Q6600 is your processor, not your botherboard.

Now that being said, it is seems to me to be a driver problem...I'll let the person who was originally helping you talk you through it though.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Wow do I feel stupid lol. Its been a really long weekend. I'm not a computer noob by any means so don't let that slipup make you start talkin' in laymens terms lol.

My mobo is:

Motherboard Model: Intel Corporation D975XBX2
Motherboard Chipset: Intel 975X (Glenwood-DG) + ICH7DH

EDIT: I do keep most of my important stuff backed up on a second HD so if formatting would be more efficient than troubleshooting all of this don't be afraid to recommend it.

EDIT2: I have seen many topics around the internet regarding my problem. It doesn't seem to be a unique one by any means. Unfortunately it does seem that there are many possible answers. ( i.e http://www.geekstogo...ot-t144307.html -- similar problem except person CANT see during safe mode boot) I am really curious what happens after the XP Boot logo that can cause so many problems. Obviously the video card tries to send signal to the monitor, but I'm curious what can make for so many different system setups to go wrong.

EDIT3: I have removed the video card via Device Manager and then run Driver Sweeper in safe mode and then installed stable drivers but still a no go.

Edited by muffins, 15 December 2008 - 11:51 AM.

Advertisements

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I have since formatted and updated completely and the problem is still there.

Unfortunately that makes me think its a hardware problem. I still can't say for sure though since I'm not an expert.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I just installed and went into safemode.

In 2.jpg you'll see the nVidia ctrl panel. When I install drivers and go into safe mode I click that but nothing happens.

In 3.jpg thats what I see w/ drivers uninstalled. I installed drivers and then went back into safe mode and I still saw the same thing as you do in 3.jpg

I don't know what that means but I know its not good if it isn't changing w/ driver installs.

2.JPG

3.JPG

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
So I booted w/ "Enable VGA Mode" and everything looks good, but when I change my resolution to anything it loses signal again.

Heres a pic of the quality in VGA mode

vga.JPG

Its obviously not displaying in the mode listed there. As soon as I click ok it will change back to a low low low resolution w/ 4bit color as stated.

EDIT:

when i double click the nvidia ctrl panel it doesn't show up but then I'm able to change color modes (16,32 etc...)

if i change them i lose signal D:

Edited by muffins, 15 December 2008 - 09:25 PM.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I use to be able to see the 1 choice for my monitor (60hz) on the refresh rate list but it doesn't even list that anymore.

I uninstalled all of the drivers and then used Driver Sweeper to make sure I cleaned it out good. I then scanned for new devices, found the video card, but the wizard fails to find drivers on its own.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
From my experience, sometimes a video card will lose the ability to display higher resolutions before it fails completely. This sounds like your card maybe on the way out. :)

The only other time I've seen WindowsXP losing its video between the XP screen and the logon or desktop is when someone tried to use a really old monitor that could not support the screen resolution. I can see from your screen pics that you do have the latest Nvidia driver, so I don't think its the driver. The system used to display more monitor frequencies and now its dropping all of them?? Do you have another video card you can try?