Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP, gets C:/I386/DRV/DTA/DTA.LST cannot be recovered

• Please log in to reply

sarahbb

sarahbb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, first of all thank you to anyone who responds, any help is welcome. Alright ive got a gateway 6518GZ laptop and have been having some problems. it fell about a month ago and i bought a new hard drive (a month before this fall it fell as well and the hard drive crashed so i thought it would be the hard drive) i put the new hard drive in and got,
PXE-E61: media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: exiting broadcom PXE ROM
Operating system not found

during that time the disc drive was sounding like it was spinning but kept on doing the same sound, so then i started thinking this hard drive isnt good and i might need a new disc drive. so i returned the hard drive. (they tested it and said it worked fine.) so i figured i needed a new disc drive. i ordered one today and was looking at the one i currently having and decided to try one more time to see if it would work with the hard drive i originally had. it started working and started installing windows. it usually stops between 43 and 50 percent done and gives me C:/I386/DRV/DTA/DTA.LST cannot be recovered and tells me to retry or abort. it doesnt retry so i have to abort and it closes the installing unfinished and says cannot format user partition.

if ANYONE can give me any advice it would be so appreciated. i just want my computer to work again.

thank you! sarah.

Advertisements