Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with RAM - SERIAL PRESENCE DETECT

• Please log in to reply

Cannon

Cannon

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hey everyone. My wife and I bought my parents a new laptop and they gave us their older Gateway Profile 3 computer that we are letting my son use.

First, here's the computer information:
Gateway Profile 3 (one of the all in the monitor computers)
Pent III 933 MHz
133 MHz Bus Speed - Verified in the Setup pressing F2 at bootup
RAM is (was) 128MB PC-133 SDRAM (2x64MB)
Max RAM is 512MB (2x256MB) - According to Gateway's website for this exact model
Bios Veriosn: 1AAOEP01
30 GB HD

Now, the first thing I did was wipe the computer clean and reinstall XP PRO. Everything works great. But since the memory was low, I wanted to max it out. I bought two sticks of 256MB PC-133 168D SDRAM to equal the desired 512MB.

When I install the sticks, I get this message at boot up:

"A memory module's SERIAL PRESENSE DETECT (SPD) device data is missing or inconclusive. Load at 100 MHz buss speed?"

"Press ESC to Exist or Enter to Continue"

What's even more weird is that when I hit enter, the system works fine except it only recognizes half the RAM. For example, if I have both 256MB sticks in, it says I only have 256 RAM. If I have just one in, it says I only have 128 RAM.

One more weird thing, if I put one of the new 256MB sticks in with an older 64MB stick, it boots with NO errors/warnings and states I have 192 RAM (half my 256 + the full 64). The old RAM is also PC-133 SDRAM.

I have tried only one in each dimm, both in each, vice versa, every combination.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Hey everyone. My wife and I bought my parents a new laptop and they gave us their older Gateway Profile 3 computer that we are letting my son use.

First, here's the computer information:
Gateway Profile 3 (one of the all in the monitor computers)
Pent III 933 MHz
133 MHz Bus Speed - Verified in the Setup pressing F2 at bootup
RAM is (was) 128MB PC-133 SDRAM (2x64MB)
Max RAM is 512MB (2x256MB) - According to Gateway's website for this exact model
Bios Veriosn: 1AAOEP01
30 GB HD

Now, the first thing I did was wipe the computer clean and reinstall XP PRO. Everything works great. But since the memory was low, I wanted to max it out. I bought two sticks of 256MB PC-133 168D SDRAM to equal the desired 512MB.

When I install the sticks, I get this message at boot up:

"A memory module's SERIAL PRESENSE DETECT (SPD) device data is missing or inconclusive. Load at 100 MHz buss speed?"

"Press ESC to Exist or Enter to Continue"

What's even more weird is that when I hit enter, the system works fine except it only recognizes half the RAM. For example, if I have both 256MB sticks in, it says I only have 256 RAM. If I have just one in, it says I only have 128 RAM.

One more weird thing, if I put one of the new 256MB sticks in with an older 64MB stick, it boots with NO errors/warnings and states I have 192 RAM (half my 256 + the full 64). The old RAM is also PC-133 SDRAM.

I have tried only one in each dimm, both in each, vice versa, every combination.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

OK I can help you out soem here, the reason it boots fine with the older ram is that the older ram has the SPD and it just uses the SPD from the older ram to set the settings. SPD works basically on this priority, No Settings<Fastest Settings<Slowest settings. If there are no settings, then the Fastest (well only settings) would be used. If there is a fast SPD and a slow SPD setup then it will use the slow one.

As for only half showing up, I am completely confused. I am worried that you ma have gotten ripped off and given only 128MB chips. Maybe someone else can chime in and confirm this. Can you read the label on the ram sticks (and maybe what the chips say as well including any model number and how many chips are on the board, both sides).

Cannon

Cannon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well, is there a way to asign settings to the new RAM? I will get the new RAM and tell you exactly what it says.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Well, is there a way to asign settings to the new RAM? I will get the new RAM and tell you exactly what it says.

I am honestly not sure. I know on some ram you can CHANGE the spd settings but I don't know if you can set the settings if there are none there.