Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crash while encoding video

• Please log in to reply

luckyboym

luckyboym

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hey guys, I need help!

All of the sudden whenever I try to encode videos to make a dvd my comp randomly crashes.

It doesn't happen every time just randomly. For example, I burned 5 dvds in a row with no problem. I left for a couple of hours and the next dvd caused a crash.

I use the term crash but I dont get an error message when I boot up. Also, I cant just power back on. I have to turn off my pc power supply for a few seconds then the comp actually shuts off.

I havent installed anything that I can think of, and I have tried 2 different authoring programs.

Any Ideas??????

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Hey guys, I need help!

All of the sudden whenever I try to encode videos to make a dvd my comp randomly crashes.

It doesn't happen every time just randomly. For example, I burned 5 dvds in a row with no problem. I left for a couple of hours and the next dvd caused a crash.

I use the term crash but I dont get an error message when I boot up. Also, I cant just power back on. I have to turn off my pc power supply for a few seconds then the comp actually shuts off.

I havent installed anything that I can think of, and I have tried 2 different authoring programs.

Any Ideas??????

Since you have eliminated the program as being a source of the crash. Lets check the CPU and the memory subsystem.

First, run the program Prime95 for 24hrs (it will stress the heck out of your processor using complex calculations that it knows the output too and compared the calculations to the expected result to look for errors in calculation). If you get an error, even ONE, the processor could be your problem. If not time to try the memory subsystem.

For the memory subsystem, you will use the program memtest86+ (see my sig again). You will download the precompiled iso and burn the iso to a cd. You do not simply copy the file, you need to use a program the can burn a CD from an image file (an iso). Once you have burned the disc, reboot and boot from CD(you may need to change the boot priority order in the bios to get the CD to boot before the HD). Once it is up and running, let it run for ATLEAST 12 hrs (I use and prefer 24). If there are errors time to look at the memory subsystem.

If both of these test out with NO errors, then you can rest assured these subsystems are running fine and we will look at the PSU next.