Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to use Hidden restore partition to reset to original factory setti

• Please log in to reply

ynape

ynape

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi and thanks in advance - My friend is home briefly from his 3rd tour in Iraq and has purchased a laptop from one of his friends. I am trying to help him before he and the computer have to return to duty. [the laptop has already been deployed two times as well]. It is a Toshiba Satelite X205-S9349 [ running Vista Home Premium ]. I don't know if recovery discs came originally with it - or If any were ever made, no matter now; I have little familiarity with Vista, I have primarily stayed away from it, [like I do with most things that I don't care for :) ] but I am fairly familiar with pc's and better than most of my friends with XP Pro and comfortable attempting any configuing issues on any software - or not afraid to try - and definatly can follow directions! I suggested to him that we try to reset his 'new' computer to like it was when the original owner purchased it and start fresh. Wipe out all the old and start new. I know their is a recovery [or restore to factory presets] partition, and I was able to find something by hitting the F11 or [ctrl F11] at initial boot. but then I was lost as to what to do next when I was presented with a list of options after making a couple of choices in the beginning. I am hoping someone can assist us so he will have a nice fresh "new to him" computer to return to duty with. :wave:
I have done this type of recovery/restore before on a Dell, HP and a Compaq. Thanks againl I will be back in the morning looking forward to :) getting busy and getting it back to him.
Hope to see something in about 6 hours - Melody
I hope I posted in the correct forum, I chose os instead of hardware, if I chose incorrectly - thank you, in advance for correcting its location for me.

Edited by ynape, 16 December 2008 - 01:24 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
The recovery disks may be available from Toshiba. Call Customer Service: (800) 457-7777. The cost should be about 25$ and the includes expedited shipping.

I've been looking through the toshiba laptop forums and haven't found a step by step recovery process that doesn't involve the recovery discs. If you contact customer service, they should be able to point you in the right direction. I would say that the recovery discs would be a worth while investment.

perhaps someone with toshiba experience can provide more details.

ynape

ynape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping we wouldn't have to purchase discs from Toshiba, and I too had been unable to find anything regarding a recovery without the use of discs [sorry I didn't include that in my original post :) ] If anyone else has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Else I guess it seems to get down to, the price of recovery discs from Toshiba directly, the price of an independant Vista Home Prem disc - since that is what the license is for, or using a standalone XP which he has and is not currently installed on any system at present; and that too presents the possible driver/hardware matchup issues.
Hmmmmmmmm - I guess it is time to throw the 'pc' back to him [so to speak] and see what he would like to do. I know he prefers XP to Vista, Anyone have any additional advise or suggestions [pro or con] regarding an XP installation????
I don't actually know at the moment if it is a Pro or Home edition.

Thanks again for any input - Melody

Edited by ynape, 16 December 2008 - 05:40 PM.

jane-f

jane-f

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Dont know if this helps - i have the Toshiba satalite A300,
have just looked at the manual for mine and this is what it says,

System recovery options

the procedure is as follows,

1 - turn off the computer

2 - turn on the computer, and when the toshiba screen appears - hold down the F8 key

3 - the advanced boot options menu will be displayed,
use the arrow keys to select repair your computer and press enter

4 - follow on screen instructions.

But it will all depend on if the partition is still there and hasnt been deleted.

user manual for the x series

http://uk.computers.....jsp?service=UK