Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Video From New Custom Build

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I've built hundreds of computers and have very rarely come across DOA hardware (especially these days).

I've just finished building a "BEAST" with the ATI 4870 X2 video card. As usual, I first power on the machine with the cover off and nothing attached. I do this so I can make sure the fans are running and that everything looks OK while powered up. Well, we passed that test. I put the case cover on and plugged in Monitor, Keyboard, and Mouse only. I fired up the machine and am not getting video. Everything seems to power up properly, but no video. I'm pretty sure the machine is trying to boot because after running for 10 to 15 seconds, the keyboard and mouse (both USB) power up.

The video card is seated in the slot correctly and the power cables are secure. To be sure my lines weren't bad, I swapped my power cables out with the ones that came bundled with the 4870 X2. Still nothing.

I was too tired to keep testing and am at work now so will have to do more work this afternoon. To make sure it isn't the motherboard, I'll plug my own video card into the new PC and see if I get video that way.

If that doesn't work though, is there anything else I can check that any of you can think of?

I've already checked the MB manual but don't see any special settings there for having to activate the PCI-E x16 slot like you had to do with the AGP slot on some of the much earlier boards. I've also tried to contact Technical Support. The helpdesk was closed when I called so I was forced to open a ticket. Then, I continued to google my problem and found another post where someone mentioned EXTREMELY slow response time with tickets from this company (Sapphire). Looks like I'll be taking this into my own hands. If my video card works this afternoon, I'll assume the new video card is bad and will request an RMA on it.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
I forgot to mention my system specs and the fact that my computer case (the Antec 900) doesn't have a PC Speaker so I don't know what the beep code is.

System Specs:

Antec 900 Case
Gigabyte 770 AM2/AM2+ Motherboard
Sapphire ATI Radeon 4870 X2 Video Card
Kingston HyperX PC2 8500 (4 1GB sticks) RAM
Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB (for Windows and Programs)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (for data)
AMD Phenom 9850 X4
LG BD - ROM
LG DVD - Burner
ThermalTake SpinQ Fan For CPU

Thanks,

Magus