Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Wont start up! Blank screen

• Please log in to reply

bonnie blu

bonnie blu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Argghhhhh!
My computer froze today so the only thing to do was to restart in which i did thinking everything would be normal when it turned back on. But when it went to load it kept restarting not getting any further then the ASUS screen, I've tried to enter most safe modes in which it will accept and attempt to load but not going further then the blue vista background and a mouse pointer. I'm pretty fresh when it comes to computers. But I've used this site to fix problems in the past and now its just a little to hard for me to handle. I'm begging that someone will no whats going on here.
Its an Asus Laptop, intel core 2 duo, 200gig in a c & d drive. 2 g of ram. Anything else I'll do my best to let you know.
I'm assuming its something to do with the manufacturing and not a virus as its been working fine. But assumption is the mother of all stuff ups.... I've so many photos and music I don't want to lose!

Please help me guys.

I think I'm gonna have a cry soon. LoL. :)

This error message came up once, but not when the problem first occurred:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Technical information:
STOP: 0x000000D1, (0x4f444647,0x00000002,0x00000001,0x89E98489)
USB.SYS-ADDRESS 89E98489 BASE AT 89E93000, DATESTAMP 4549B26D

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Bonnie Blu

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Unplug any USB devices, then try to start your computer.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most likely you have had a corruption of your hard drive. Since it cannot even get to the boot screen theres is really only one thing you can try to save your data. Use a laptop adapter or a external enclosure to see if you can hook up the HD to desktop computer to save any data you can off it. You probably will not be able to save any data but it's worth the effort.

After trying to save any data, the first thing i would try is a repair install.

http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

If the repair install does not work, you may need to wipe the drive, reformat and reinstall windows.

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

You will need to go to the laptop makers website to download drivers for the hardware in the laptop.

If you cannot do a clean install then most likely your hard drive has gone bad and will need replacing.

SRX660

bonnie blu

bonnie blu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for you help guys! Much appreciated, after I left if running on the blank screen awhile it came up with a recovery option and pretty much said asus wasn't liable for any data loss and that it was gonna reformat my computer. In which it did, I've still got around 30gig of music on the bright side but yeah all pictures etc are gone. After you mentioned the usb idea, I realised I had plugged in a usb for an old printer when it crashed so it could be that. Or the hard drive. As its still on warranty I'm going to take it in to get repaired. As I dont want to continue using it with the thought that it could have the same problem again. Bit depressing!
Thanks again though!

Bonnie