Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fastrack contoller and Bios message

• Please log in to reply

StuLS400

StuLS400

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I am new here and tried a search - no help.
I have a start-up issue...

My computer suddenly turned itself off. -bam !
Turned it back on and then shortly after it froze ?? (when actually updating my Norton anti-virus ?)
So, I unpluged the frozen computer and NOW, whenever I turn it on, I get this message :

" no drive attached to Fastrack controller .... the bios is not installed "

The computer's clock had to be reset and sometimes ( but not always ?) I am asked to press F2 at start up or the weclcome screen won't appear ?

Should I worry, is it an easy fix or should I get this looked at by a pro ?
Thanks for any help !

Edited by StuLS400, 17 December 2008 - 03:39 PM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi StuLS400, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

The fact that you had to reset your computer's clock makes it sound like the the CMOS battery is dying, which can cause some problems, like BIOS settings being lost causing the error message you see above. Go ahead and open your computer case, and look for a small watch battery about the size of a quarter. Pop that out, take it to a store, and look for an appropriate replacement. Pop the new battery into the computer and see what happens. You should have to change some BIOS settings to what they should be, like the time and date, but hopefully the error message and freezing should go away.

StuLS400

StuLS400

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the advise, I will give it a try and see.