Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unmountable_boot_voluwe

• Please log in to reply

dyanas

dyanas

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HI,

So randomly my boyfriends lap top started popping up with this blue screen of death, Now we are totally unable to turn on the lap top what so ever with out it popping up, even tried to start it in every safe mode and it will not work...

Now i have looked at some solutions are problem is is that the laptop has NO cd rom drive or a floppy drive so we can not re start it with a cd what so ever, So what should we do?
Is there anyway to hook up the hard drive to my gateway desk top? and try to use my cd rom drive? We need help, IF someone can possibly help asap

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Email removed to protect the innocent - Murray

Edited by Murray S., 17 December 2008 - 06:26 PM.

Advertisements

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
few ways to go around this. You can get usb cd rom to use. And then boot up with windows cd(if it's xp). Then click R for recovery console, select 1 for os choise and enter admin password. Then type in chkdsk /r .
It is possible to hook up the hard drive to your desktop. If it's IDE drive in the laptop it will require an adapter in order to be hooked up to desktop. If it's SATA hard drive then it can be just hooked up if you have SATA ports on the desktop. On the desktop go to start->run type in cmd . Then depending on what the letter been asigned to the laptop hard drive type in chkdsk X:\ /r where X is the letter that been assigned to a laptop drive. In many cases running chkdsk /r temporary fixes the system and hard drive might be failing. If you are able to get it back to booting in windows need to check event viewer for disk errors.

Edited by yevgenievich, 18 December 2008 - 12:31 AM.