Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'X:\ is not accessible. Access is denied' Errors

• Please log in to reply

wehey

wehey

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

I have a PC running XP Pro SP3.

Whenever I try to access media in my DVD-R drive I get the following:

'E:\ is not accessible. Access is denied' The CD will show as full but with 0 byte size on the properties tab.
If I run a CD pre-Windows such as a boot disc, the CD drive works absolutely fine.

Likewise, whenever I install a USB flash drive into the machine, Windows will detect and install it before generating the same error 'F:\ is not accessible. Access is denied'

I have tried repairing the XP installation with original disc and the problem is still there. Is this a registry error?

I'm sure anyone has more of a clue than me on this one!

Appreciate any help,
Thanks,

Mark

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello wehey...

I apologize for the delay in getting to you.

This sounds like a permissions issue. Are you using an account with Administrator permissions?

Right click on one of the drives in My Computer and choose "Properties". Is there a "Security" tab visible in the Properties window?

wannabe1

wehey

wehey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I've been away over xmas so haven't had a chance to check...

I'm not logged on as administrator generally, however the problem still exists when logged on as admin.

If I right-click on devices I get 'sharing and security' in the drop-down, however in properties there is only a sharing tab.

These options do NOT appear on the faulty CD drive however.

Any thoughts on this?

Thankyou,
Mark