Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP:I don't know how much disk space I have left

• Please log in to reply

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi there,

Earlier I installed windows updates (from the website) which included Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929). During installation (which took a long time) there was a lot of talk about making inventories, backing upfiles and making copies of files. After it'd finished and restarted my computer I found that there was about 2 GB less than a couple of days ago (and I haven't downloaded anything major since then). I decided to restore my computer to the point just before I installed the files. When that had finished the new files were gone but I still had the same amount of space left.

Does it ever happen that sometimes the actual amount of disk space takes some time to register after major downloads/deletions?

Many thanks.

Advertisements

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Try to free some disk space by going to Start>Run and type (cleanmgr) click OK and it will erase temp files, folders and other junk.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Try to free some disk space by going to Start>Run and type (cleanmgr) click OK and it will erase temp files, folders and other junk.

Well I seem to have solved the problem. I'm back to the amount of memory I should have (and then some). However I'd still like some feeback on a few things.

I followed the advice above and the cleaning up folder indicated that I didn't have very much erasable material under the various catergories. When I did it though it freed up over a GiG.

Then in addition I deleted all the restore points except the most recent and it freed up almost another GiG. I don't understand. I was doing that all day yesterday and it didn't free up anything. Remember I had the same amount of disk space before I did all this as I had yesterday.

I'd also like to ask if I try to download Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929) again am I going to get the same problem. Will it inevitably take up an extra Gig and a half of disk space. Why doesn't it just replace the old security updates?

Many thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Deleting the restore points will only tempoarily give you your space back. as restore points are set, they will start taking up space again.