Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Access

• Please log in to reply

Onna

Onna

• Pip
  • 3 posts
About two months ago my computer caught a virus and I had to wipe the hard drive clean. When I reinstalled MS XP Pro from a disk MS Access shows up as an installed program but will not open. Everything else works just fine. I have not been able to find a solution anywhere for this problem. I am not a technically oriented person but I can follow directions very well. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Advertisements

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
When you formatted your drive, was it with a clean OS disk or a vendor supplied one (i.e. From the PC manufacturer)? Did you attempt to install MS Office after Windows was reinstalled?

Also, you say it won't open. What exactly does it do when you try to open it? Any error messages at all? Basically, MS Access only comes as a standalone or installed with the Microsoft Office Professional Suite.

Onna

Onna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an HP Paillion dv6119 laptop cpmputer. It has a function where you hit F11 during start up and it erases itself. The I used disks supplied by the HP to reload Windows.

Access shows up in the list of all programs on the start menu. When I click on it the windows installer window comes and then a window saying that it is confguring Windows XP, after that nothing happens.

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Ahhh, that explains it. The recovery volume on HP products doesn't include a full version of Microsoft Office. Access is part of Office Professional, which is likely included in a 30 or 60 day trial on your pc. If you happened to activate the trial at one point, you may try to uninstall office entirely through the control panel then reinstall it from the programs list. Generally there's an applications and driver recovery section available under Start > Programs. You'll be able to reinstall office from there if you need to.