Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

250 gig hardrive only let me use about 140 gig

• Please log in to reply

Greeny202a

Greeny202a

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I just bought a new 250gig ide seagate udma uata hard drive but when i partition it it only seems to let me use about 140 gig, even partition magic wont help. My motherboard is quite old (about 6 years) and i have got the 1024 cylinder boot problem so i set a small partition to install windows to then partitioned the rest but around 100 gig is missing.

can anyone help please

Advertisements

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Does the OS disk you're installing with include service pack?

Greeny202a

Greeny202a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes it does sp3

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
o_O sp3 eh, Did you slipstream it in?

This is normally a pretty common problem when it comes to large volume support without sp2. Don't really want to say that your motherboard is too old though. :)

Greeny202a

Greeny202a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yikes!! well i upgraded my windows from sp2 do you think it will solve the problem if i re-install the sp2 windows from the disk?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Greeny202a...

It sounds like you need to enable 48-bit LBA. If this is not enabled, your machine will only see 137 GB no matter how large a drive you install. This Microsoft Article explains how to resolve this issue.

More information on this HERE.

wannabe1

Greeny202a

Greeny202a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Lurky and Wannabe1.

I installed the updated drivers to allow 48 bit lba to my 250 gig drive, now windows recognises the whole disk but it still wont let me format any partitions past the 131 gig mark! when i try it i get the dreaded blue screen!!!

I followed the info on the link suggested but it doesnt seem to help.

Do you think its a windows problem or a hpt370 driver problem?