Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems since updating to Internet Explorer 7

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Since updating to Internet Explorer 7 a few days ago, my computer is not acting correctly. I did read there was a high priority update with Explorer 7, so I made sure I had everything updated...it is current.

Since that time, when I go to internet options/automatic updates, I get the message that the site cannot continue because one of these windows services is not running. It told me to go to "run-services-msc, and turn on the automatic update. I have done this twice, but when I restart my computer, I have to do that step all over again, and I get an error message " error loading c/windows/system32/giletisa.dll". The computer works, but after a few minutes I get a message from CA industries which is my Virus proctection, has encountered a problem and has to close...please send error report to Microsoft.

I have run a full virus scan, and have found some viruses, but it said they deleted them. I tried a system restore to go back before I did the Internet 7 update, but after running the restore, I got a message that it could not be done. What would be the reason for that????

And then ran a check of errors on my hard disk drive, and prompted my computer to automatically fix file system errors and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

And I even tried to remove the update to Internet 7, but when I went to remove programs, I can click on the Internet 7 line , but there is no "change/remove" option so I can remove it.

I now wish I had never updated it. Could there be a conflict between the internet 7 update and my CA industries virus protection program? I don't know what else to do?

I would appreciate any advice..
Thanks

Advertisements

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
For a start before windows boot try to go into the (Safe Mode) by pressing F8 and then try to remove IE7.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I tried deleting I& in safe mode.....and I don't know what or how it happened, but I& is still there, but Outlook Express is not. Now how do I go about restoring outlook Express?

What a mess this update has caused...
Thanks

Edited by bettei, 18 December 2008 - 08:55 PM.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
If Outlook Express is gone try system restore or install it again http://www.softpedia...ownload-40.html if You had emails that are important to you then try system restore and about IE7 if it's not uninstall try to install IE8 beta 2 version it might overright the IE7!

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I have tried several System Restores and all I get is "restoration Incomplete" no matter what date I select. Do you have any idea what is causing this?

I will try to download the Beta if you think it is safe, but I will wait until tommorrow. This has me frazzled.

Any other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Edit: I just tried the softpedia link to restore Outlook, and it told me another version is already installed, and it cannot continue. How can that be when it does not show up in my progams anywhere? I believe I had outlook 7.

Edited by bettei, 18 December 2008 - 09:01 PM.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
You can try "Add or Remove Programs" and on top of the window check the inbox "show updates" then if you see any IE update try to uninstall it! And IE8 Beta is safe I've try it.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

IE8 Beta is safe I've try it

No beta program should be ever installed on main computer.

I can click on the Internet 7 line , but there is no "change/remove" option so I can remove it.

Do you have SP3 installed?