Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HD Data Loss

• Please log in to reply

YoukaiHiei

YoukaiHiei

• Pip
  • 7 posts
First of all I am not exactly sure if this goes in Hardware of Software problems...but seeing as how I think it is a hardware issue, I've posted it here.

Well here is my story. I got home from school last night at around ten to a wonderful array of error messages on my monitor.
I had not turned off my computer in the morning and so I was kind of confused as to why it was displaying the logon screen,
I'm assuming Windows had updated and restarted.

According to the Event Viewer, this is what they all said:

Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file K:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

I didn't notice until this morning, but one of my external hard drives (which is about a year old) isn't being read.
Windows will recognize that it is connected. It shows up as

WDC WD16 00BB-00GUA0 USB Device

In the Device Manager under USB Mass Storage Devices, however nothing shows up in Windows Explorer.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers, updating the drivers, and updating windows. None of those have worked so far.

I'm running Windows XP Professional with SP 3.

Thanks for your time and even more if you guys can help me get this thing running again =)

Advertisements